Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NotaMaster

PLC & HMI communication

5 posts in this topic

Hello, i want to add hmi for my motor control system. For the plc, i use TM221CE16R from schneider and for the hmi i'm about to use delta hmi or weinview, but at this point i'm affraid because it's from another vendor, it can't communicate. Do i need to use hmi from the same vendor as plc or i can use it with different vendor?

As a general rule using PLC from Vendor A and HMI from Vendor A has the fewest problems and the best support when there are issues.

That said, if the PLC from Vendor X and the HMI from Vendor Y both support the same communications protocol {Modbus, Serial, DeviceNet, ControlNet} then usually they can be made to work.  But be prepared for finger pointing between X and Y when issues pop up. 

2 people like this

ooh i see, but what do you mean with "finger pointing"?

33 minutes ago, NotaMaster said:

ooh i see, but what do you mean with "finger pointing"?

In this instance, "Finger pointing" is when X points at Y and says it is not our problem it is Y's problem and Y points at X and says it is X's problem and you are in the middle, possibly with no assistance from either.

Finger-pointing: a situation in which someone is blamed for something that goes wrong