patrickft3

How to enable auto-complete while creating new variables

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

I just recently started learning about PLC's at University. While using Gx Works 2, how do I turn on auto complete for existing variable names? With this I mean, after creating a variable, for example bSystem_Started, if I want to use it again, what setting do I need to change so that by just typing "bSy", a pop up appears saying the whole name "bSystem_Started", so by just pressing enter it auto completes.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Patrick.

Shouldn't be anything you have to do, it should be on by default.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:31 AM, Crossbow said:

Shouldn't be anything you have to do, it should be on by default.

Thanks for your response. It's not on by default. I need to type the whole name.

How would I turn it on?

On 2/15/2022 at 9:04 PM, panic mode said:

have not used GX is long time. not sure if your version has autocomplete or intellisense.

check this : https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/34329-need-help-for-converting-fb-from-codesys-to-gx-works-3-in-st/&do=findComment&comment=160550

Thanks for your response. I think that's structured text. I'm using ladder logic. 

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

As you can see on this image bSystem_Started is written twice. I want to just type bSys and let the program autocomplete the whole name (bSystem_Started) by just pressing enter.

I want to just type bSys and let the program autocomplete the whole name (bSystem_Started) by just pressing enter.

well, you may want it a whole lot more and that will still not make it appear for you just like that. when such option is present in the software, it is normally enabled by default. in other words no specific action is needed to activate it but there may be setting to deactivate it if desired (for example if it does not work as expected). in other words you should not need to do any digging for such settings. and based on what you reported so far, it looks like you will have to live without it.

As you can see there is not many responses. in other words nobody is confirming that they have it in that software version. so if you were really serious about finding out about this, you would check manual for your product to see if this option actually exists in your version of software. or you could contact manufacturer. when you pay for software, you are entitled to at least basic support. or you could post some details for those who may be willing and able to help. an example of details is the exact software version, environment in which is installed (OS version, service packs, regional settings and anything that may be unique to your installation). since nobody else reported it as available, it is pretty safe to assume that this is a no-go...

Just fired up my really old virtual machine running GX Works2 and confirmed auto complete works fine in structured ladder and structured text.  There are no settings I can see in the Options to disable this.  So I have no idea why it is not working on your PC unless it is a Windows setting.