Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryszard

PLC-2 controller

18 posts in this topic

I am new in A-B. Anybody help me in prinout PLC-2 attached software. This software I received from machine deliver because my PLC-2 was broken. In this way I would like to apply new PLC. I have not A-B tool. Ryszard 18270RAY.XRI

Looks like that file is from ICOM software. You need to post a file with a .LAD extension.

Files in my project have extension *.ADR; *.CFG; *..DSC; *.LAD; *.PRF; *.RPD; *.RPI; *.SYM; *.XRF; *.XRI; *. Allen_Bradley.rar

Here is a printout of your program. View it with wordpad. REPORT.txt

The PLC/2 is a really old PLC and while you can still buy a new processor it will be very expensive. Since it looks like you have the software files, I suggest you get in contact with your AB representative. AB has an upgrade program - you can trade in your old broken PLC/2 for partial credit towards a PLC/5 processor. The PLC/5 will work in the same IO rack as your PLC/2, so you dont have to rewire anything. Then you send your software to AB and they will crank it through a computer program they have that will convert it to PLC/5 software and send it back to you. I know AB offers this sevice because we have used it ourselves. Contact your AB rep. for more info.

If it were my plant, I think I would first buy a replacement PLC-2 processor, USED. Preferably on Ebay.. They go for next to nothing there. Reason being, I would want my new machine to start earning its keep, even if we would be looking to convert to PLC-5. Besides, you would want to make sure the REST of it is functional before swapping controllers, no? So once it is running, the decision is what to convert it to, if to convert it at all. The closest relative is the PLC-5, but it is not necessarily an exact translation. There's instructions in the PLC-2 that aren't the same, don't behave the same, as on the 5. I don't say this from personal experience, but I know a guy that got KNEE DEEP IN IT on a 2-to-5 conversion where the 2 was doing goofy stuff. A-B offers (offered?) a 2-to-5 conversion software package that does SOME of the work for you, but again, you might have quite a bit of hand-coding on your hands still. Another alternative is to just get rid of the 1771 racks and put in a SLC. If the panel is in overall bad shape, this could become a more attractive option. There's no software tool to convert the code for you though, you're doing it by hand. There'd obviously be quite a bit of wiring involved, too. This will end up being a cheaper, maybe even better solution than keeping the old I/O racks, in the long term. Or, like Alaric said, you could just call A-B GTS to come in and do it for you. Or any competitive bidder that wants the work. I really doubt GTS has anything much more elaborate than the 2-to-5 conversion software that anyone can buy.. There are considerations that require human decision-making, when it goes beyond a direct conversion. Maybe the best solution is get it running, leave it alone, have lots of spares on hand!

Alaric, They did charge you for this service, didn't they? I knew GTS did 2 to 5 conversions, but at a pretty high premium. Do you recall how billing was done? (by rung, by hour of labor, etc?)

Not necessarily - if it's an old system with a series A chassis, you need to replace the chassis with series B. The main reason being you can't connect the P1 power supply to the chassis with a PLC5 in slot 0 and there's no connector for a P7 supply.

We made the conversion several years ago (maybe even 10 years ago) - I don't recall how much it was, but at the time we did not view it as prohibitively expensive, though it wasn't cheap either. It seems like all together it was a little less than 10 grand, including the PLC/5 processor - but that was many years ago. We determined at the time that it would be a lot less than rewiring for a SLC - and we needed the machine. The whole process only took a few days at that time. However, we did not have any PLC/2 programming software - though we had a copy of the file on floppy but we had several PLC/5s and AI software. Things are a bit different now. E-bay was not around then. If you have the PLC/2 programming software, or you have a local programmer who does have the software who can download it for you, then maybe finding a processor on e-bay would be a good idea. E-bay is where I look for replacement <cough>Modicon 984s<cough> now. If however you would have to purchase the PLC/2 programming software (very expensive) to continue with that family, and you already have PLC/5 programming software, then the best approach is to use ABs upgrade program. I think however that if it were me and I was going to swap out the entire PLC, I would not use a SLC, I would swap for a CLX platform. Edited by Alaric

muchas gracias espero corresponder a su ayuda