Cwayman

Help with LAN network

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to set up a brand new network of PLCs and GOTs in a classroom. Something I haven’t ever done before.  I’m using simple Ethernet and going from a pc to a switch then the switch to each device.  I can not get anything to communicate to each other.  I can read from one GOT or one PLC but that’s it.  Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Let's start with and eliminate the basics.

Make sure the PC , ALL PLC and ALL GOT are in the same IP Subnet and Mask Setup and that the switch ports are configured to handle that subnet.

For a classroom scenario I'd use a Commercial HUB rather than a switch just to simplify, but that's me.

I disagree with Bob on the hub, switches (unmanaged even) are the way to go for traffic considerations.

First, did you set a unique IP address on each device?  All of my PLCs come out of the box with the same address set, and that's not going to work when networked.

@Crossbow when I suggested hub I was thinking of an isolated one cell classroom with no internet or uplink considerations.  If the case is for more connectivity than that then switches are a best call.

@Crossbow I have tried to do that but any time I exit out of GX Works 2 it resets to the original IP address I believe.  
@BobLfoot I think I am going to go with a hub mainly because this is one classroom cell with no outside access.  The hub will be the easies to set up I think.

If you change the IP address of the controller you need to download those changes to the controller.   There is no reason it would return to default if it was set. 

Make sure all the GOT have their own station nr. 

@Crossbow You are right, I hadn’t properly written the IP settings to the controller for it to stick.  I ended up going with an unmanaged switch but I had to change my IP address on my desktop to match.  Thank you for your help everyone