Popnfrsh24

Easy way to pulse Output

6 posts in this topic

Howdy There,

I am retrofitting some Old "touch-plate" lighting system and putting in a new Omron PLC system.  The lighting system uses some "touch plate" control boards that ultimately send a pulse signal to a touch-plate relay to cycle it on or off.  Attached is a picture of the relays I'm trying to control.  From what I have understood from the manual, these relays take a pulse to switch their status, so it needs an upward transition to 28 Vdc, then stay there for anywhere from .05 sec to 0.1 sec max, then back down to 0Vdc.  Each new pulse cycles the status of the relay to be open or closed.

I was wondering of the easiest way to do this in the PLC code.  Do I just need to use some high speed timer that keeps the output high for < 0.1 sec then turns it off after the timer expires?  Or is there some simple command that keeps an output high for a set amount of time and then automatically turns it off after a set amount of time has expired?

Thanks,

Pop

IMG_8312.JPG

Set an output bit when the button is pressed.

Have that bit enable a timer for 0.1 seconds.

When the timer finishes, reset the bit.

What PLC are you using?

If your controller and IO support the PWM instruction then this would be an easy and versatile way to achieve this. If not you'll need to bit-bang with the higher accuracy timers.

1 hour ago, photovoltaic said:

What PLC are you using?

If your controller and IO support the PWM instruction then this would be an easy and versatile way to achieve this. If not you'll need to bit-bang with the higher accuracy timers.

You don't want to use a PWM output with a mechanical relay! It will quickly wear out and fail!

PWM does not apply to this application.