scotty134

1S Servo Single-axis position control axis vs Motion control axis

8 posts in this topic

Hello to everybody,

I have partially stupid question, but it's confusing sometimes and I was not able to find full answer on it in manuals. I know that you need to use Motion control axis when you need to have some type of multi axes interpolation. But in case if I have just independent axes that needs to be operated at same time, collect torque data, etc. could I just use single-axis position control axis or not. I do not see what kind of restrictions I will be facing when I use single-axis position control vs motion control axes anything except group/cam axes interpolation. Can I in example to operate 2-4 individual servos at same time using single-axis position control axis or not?

Basic NX102-9000 comes with 4 single-axis position control axis, that should be good for me, but what limitations I will have compare to NX102-1000 if I do not need group/cam interpolation. 

Regards,

Scotty

You pretty much outlined the limitations for a single axis vs coordinates axis. You will still have all of the axis data (torque etc.) with a single axis. You will be limited on instructions that you can use  with a single axis vs a coordinated axis (gearing, camming etc). You can still move multiple axis at the same time you'll just be limited by instructions available.

1 person likes this

I was warried that I would get some limited communication with servo amplifiers or have some lagging when I need to trigger 2 axes at same time or else. 

On 2/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, scotty134 said:

I was warried that I would get some limited communication with servo amplifiers or have some lagging when I need to trigger 2 axes at same time or else. 

In most cases it is fine and you can get the axis very close to synchronized. Just keep in mind if one of them trips the other one can keep moving so you need to constantly monitor this when parallel movement is happening. I have done it on a machine where the wrong PLC was ordered and it worked fine.

The motion instruction manual has a table that lists which function blocks can be used on a single-axis positioning axis and which require a motion axis.  That is the only difference... a motion axis can use all commands while the other is effectively a 'lite' axis.

In most cases it is fine and you can get the axis very close to synchronized. Just keep in mind if one of them trips the other one can keep moving so you need to constantly monitor this when parallel movement is happening. I have done it on a machine where the wrong PLC was ordered and it worked fine.

I do not plan to use them as sync axes. For me it should not be an issue.

The motion instruction manual has a table that lists which function blocks can be used on a single-axis positioning axis and which require a motion axis.  That is the only difference... a motion axis can use all commands while the other is effectively a 'lite' axis.

What do you mean 'lite' axis? Can you share a manual where it says what commands require motion control and which not require? I was trying to find same information for a while and can't find exact answer except of couple sentenses where says that if you want to use cam/gear in/ follow / group / multi-axes interpolation motion then you need to use motion control. Sysmac studio toolbox's showing same list of available functions If I change PLC from 0 control axes to 2 control axes and it's a bit confusing. 

The motion control instruction manual, W508, section 2.2.  Complete list of all commands, and there is a column called Single Axis.  the instructions with the circle there can be used with a single axis positioning axis.  You can get it from Omron's website.  You can also access all manuals from the Help menu inside of Sysmac Studio.

1 person likes this

The motion control instruction manual, W508, section 2.2.  Complete list of all commands, and there is a column called Single Axis.  the instructions with the circle there can be used with a single axis positioning axis.  You can get it from Omron's website.  You can also access all manuals from the Help menu inside of Sysmac Studio.

Perfect. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!