10 posts in this topic

I'm new to this forum, and hope for help. We have a woodworking edgebanding machine (Cehisa, made in Spain) that stopped resetting (starting), a tech diagnosed a bad PLC because all its led's were flashing. Cehisa owns the software, so they are only source to upload the project. They quoted us $7500.00 + $100 shipping for a replacement (!!!). Problem is, even if we paid this , the replacement could also fail if it's an internal or external component problem. Siemens tech suggested a power supply issue possibly.  ( I put PLC in Stop, disconnected all outputs and lights stopped flashing. Can anyone suggest steps to meter test & "possibly" save the one we have? Spain, our US distributor, and our tech stopped communicating (they all say buying the new one is the answer). I have some electronics background, have and understand our machine's schematics but not versed on PLC's. Sorry for long-winded text.

After a little searching....Looks like I need to download Step7/Microwin and start with my PLC's diagnostics buffer. Yes?

I don’t think Siemens step 7 micro win software is a free download. You will also need a Siemens step 7 PPI cable to connect between the computer and the P.L.C.

Rodney

Colonel

Where are you located?

what state?

Rodney, thanks for the reply, I did see the special cable requirement. Siemens also has an excellent step 7 microwin .pdf manual specifically for the s7-200 that I'm studying.

jrw, we are near Springfield, Ma., 

Gotcha

I thought I might be able to help

But I’m too far away. Your far from North or South Carolina

:)

That's a hell of a markup, those PLCs were under $1000 even for the largest model.  If you can get MicroWin and the cable and get online, you may still be able to back up the existing program and source a similar PLC from someplace like Radwell.

Keep in mind S7-200 is obsolete and was replaced by S7-1200, so support for it will be limited in the near future.

Thank you for the offer, jrw, but we could fly you up here to a 4-star hotel and still save money from our quote, lol. North Carolina is actually where the machine distributor is (Adwood corp.), but they're not backing us up, nor the mfr. in Spain. Machine's been down 2 months now, crippling us. 

And yes, Crossbow, our identical PLC is available new on eBay for under $300 last time I checked. I was told it was discontinued, but it is still available. I've read mixed opinions about being able to transfer software projects between PLC's;  most say can't do, some yes. It's software, so I see no reason can't be moved, unless corrupted.

I have been studying how these work and are programmed, so I'll likely be the one to fix it. $8000 is current book vaue of our machine, err.... boat anchor.

1 person likes this

I believe S7-200 also offered a memory card option that plugged into the front... It's possible your program is on the card and it can simply be moved to the new unit.

But I don't recall and haven't touched a Siemens PLC since 2005... job change.  Did install several of these back in the day though.  Nice little PLC and great software.

I hope it is that easy! I'll check it when I get back Monday. We're in the process of checking individual outputs in case it's a process failure, tripping the PLC off. The PLC controls about 10 processes on the machine..