noorloai

How can we Monitor Wonderware Historian inside CompactLogic PLC/FactoryTalk HMI

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I want to monitor Wonderware historian communication status inside CompactLogic PLC and trigger a fault in PLC if communication is lost and capture this in FactoryTalk HMI SE.

I have talked to Wonderware historian technical support and they said there is no way to do that as the Wonderware  Historian Server is a Suitelink Protocol server, so only a Suitelink Client would be able directly to access the system item from the Historian Server.

has anyone tried to achieve this task before? is there any alternative way? and if so, can you guide me through the steps?

Thank you and appreciate your support in advance.

Edited by noorloai

As I understand it a PLC communicates with either a DAS or OIT Server which then ships the data to Historian.

So which communication concerns you.

1. DAS/OIT to/from PLC.

2. DAS/OIT to/from HISTORIAN.

Currently, the WW Historian can read the tags from the PLC (Compact logic) using RSLinx over Ethernet DAServer Manage (DASABCIP). But I am facing an issue in finding a way to read Historian system tags in PLC. Is there any solution for that? I would like to monitor the Historian communication Status in PLC

Note: HMI is FactoryTalk SE Ver 9.0

Appreciate your response in advance.

Edited by noorloai

What you are asking is fundamentally a role reversal for SCADA/Historian designs.  PLCs have known protocols allowing external systems to interrogate them and perhaps write supervisory instructions into them.  WW and similar implement the PLC protocols to interrogate the PLC.  The PLC can't interrogate WW.  Generally, at best, you can use supervisory control writes into the PLC to increment a heartbeat register or set an "I'm alive" timestamp.

18 hours ago, pturmel said:

What you are asking is fundamentally a role reversal for SCADA/Historian designs.  PLCs have known protocols allowing external systems to interrogate them and perhaps write supervisory instructions into them.  WW and similar implement the PLC protocols to interrogate the PLC.  The PLC can't interrogate WW.  Generally, at best, you can use supervisory control writes into the PLC to increment a heartbeat register or set an "I'm alive" timestamp.

That's exactly the thought had when first reading the post.  I don't know if historian has the capability to write to the PLC as it is generally designed to just poll for information. Noorloai, can you go back to your Wonderware tech support and see if historian has the capability to write to the PLC and perform some simple logic.  The aim would be to create an on/off hearbeat at a set interval (ie, 1 sec on and 1 sec off).  If you can achieve that then you can analyze that bit in your PLC by using timers.  If the bit from the Historian stays on past one second or off past one second then the communication is considered lost and you can act upon that however you want in the PLC.

1 person likes this

1. DETERMINE WHAT DATA TYPE HISTORIAN USES FOR COMMUNICATION STATUS.

2. CREATE A TAG OF READ/WRITE CAPACITY IN THE PLC OF SAME DATA TYPE.

3. MAP THE TAG TO THE HISTORIAN.

4. USING THE HISTORIAN SMC/MMC WRITE AN EVENT SCRIPT TO COPY THE STATUS INTO THE TAG AT THE HISTORIAN.

OF COURSE IF THE HISTORIAN STATUS IS "i CAN'T COMMUNICATE TO PLC" THE PLC WILL NEVER GET THE CHANGE IN STATUS.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

That's exactly the thought had when first reading the post.  I don't know if historian has the capability to write to the PLC as it is generally designed to just poll for information. Noorloai, can you go back to your Wonderware tech support and see if historian has the capability to write to the PLC and perform some simple logic.  The aim would be to create an on/off hearbeat at a set interval (ie, 1 sec on and 1 sec off).  If you can achieve that then you can analyze that bit in your PLC by using timers.  If the bit from the Historian stays on past one second or off past one second then the communication is considered lost and you can act upon that however you want in the PLC.

Unfortunately, the Historian has no way of pushing system tags value to the PLC.

Therefore, I am looking for an alternative way to accomplish my task, like using FT SE VBA to communicate with SQL server to pull historian system tag? this is just a thought but not sure if it's possible. I have limited experience with VBA and SQL.  Wondering if someone can help with that? Thought? 

Look at the Event Tag properties on the historian.  it can be scripted to move the system tag to a plc tag every so many seconds.

1 person likes this

Can the PLC poll the Historian rather than the Historian pushing the heartbeat to the PLC?

MSG instruction, fired periodically, to read the status of the Historian heartbeat?

42 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Can the PLC poll the Historian

See my comment about "role reversal".  The historian would have to implement the EtherNet/IP spec as a Server, not the typical client, and emulate either Logix tags or PCCC data files. I know of precisely two (2) SCADA products that do this: 1) RSLinx/FTLinx "Unsolicited Messaging", and 2) My own Ethernet/IP module for Ignition.

So, pretty sure that's a "NO".

(There are a variety of network bridge products for unsolicited messaging, but then you would still need a WW connection to the bridge. Not at all the same.)