photovoltaic

Control Logix GSV request

7 posts in this topic

I am making an AOI and it needs to detect the type of platform it is being run on (Control vs Compact). I have found a way to retrieve the Device Name using GSV but I only have a compact logix at my disposal. I am looking for someone to run the below line of code and cut and paste the contents of the string. The more the merrier:

Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG

I would expect the ProductCode value from  the ControllerDevice to be a lot easier to use--and it is publicly documented (in the general instruction set manual).  And you can look in any processor's EDS file for new entries.  Define a constant boolean array to signal whether a CompactLogix or not.

Might I suggest you use a full string rather than 40.  It's lost the 176 at beginning of controller part number.

The same general instruction set manual says the first byte of that device name is a string length.  When under 32, that can scramble display.

Edit:  Actually, it is documented to be an SINT[33] array, so that byte and the following 3 characters will be lost writing into a STRING type.

Edited by pturmel
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Might I suggest you use a full string rather than 40.  It's lost the 176 at beginning of controller part number.

Same result with a full string, but like pturmel said it is SINT[33]

I think I'm going to use the SINT method and just look at the 9 or the 6. in the 4th index

The length of the string might differ by device;  mine was 20 bytes, not 33.   I agree that it might be simpler to get the Device Code from that identity object, and use its value against a table of known CPUs you can update.

That list is on Page 194 of the 1756-RM003 reference manual:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Here's the results from my testbench:

L61_DeviceName.png

Edited by Ken Roach

On 1/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, Ken Roach said:

The length of the string might differ by device;  mine was 20 bytes, not 33.   I agree that it might be simpler to get the Device Code from that identity object, and use its value against a table of known CPUs you can update.

That list is on Page 194 of the 1756-RM003 reference manual:
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Here's the results from my testbench:

L61_DeviceName.png

Thanks Ken, this is very helpful.