jayA485

DH-485 wired Parallel to Panel View

9 posts in this topic

I am starting an upgrade process for all my SLC50* PLCs and working out the communication of my machines for the upgrade. I ran into this complication I don't understand. I have 2 machines that work together using 1 HMI. Both machines have their own PLCs. Both are running SLC5/02 to 1747-AIC link coupler then to the 2711P-RN6 interface with the DH-485 communications running parallel. I don't understand how this works, or how I might possibly upgrade the communications from 2 PLC's into 1 HMI without linking the PLC's programming first. (Also, a complication I am working on, I only have the Runtime file, not the ME file for the HMI program). 

DH-485.jpg

What are you planning to migrate to? If you use Ethernet PLCs, you won't have a problem. They would just have to be on the same network with unique addresses. Then the HMI can talk to both. And the PLCs can easily talk to each other as well to exchange any information they might need to.

The plan right now is the compact 5069-L310ER with existing I/O 1747-AENTR. I am trying to work out a way to upgrade pieces at a time, like keeping existing Panelview until upgrade later with 2711P-T10C21D8S (but i guess I will need the Panel View with 2 ethernet ports? 2711P-T10C22D8S). If I have to keep the DH-485 communication my parts rep suggested Prosoft A-DH485R that is an ethernet DH-485 router.

You will only need a single ethernet port on the Panelview if you're using a STAR or LINEAR Network topology. 

The two ports come into play when you use DEVICE LEVEL RING {DLR}.

If I am reading your post correctly you have three devices to convert.

Device 1 - SLC50* to 5069-L310ER

Device 2 - SLC50* to 5069-L310ER

Device 3 - Panelview with DH-485 Communications to Panelview with Ethernet Communications.

AS I think about this I might do the panelview first and use the Prosoft DH485 Ethernet Gateway.

Then with each PLC converted you'd reprogram the Panelview tags to point at the new ethernet PLC rather than the old DH-485 SLC.

Just my two cents.

I could be wrong, but I thought that all of the PV+ HMIs had Ethernet ports. If that's the case, I would replace the PLCs one at a time first to avoid adding a gateway device into the mix. The PLCs, I/O racks, and HMI can all be on the same network and talk to each other without dual ports on the HMI. You will need an Ethernet switch. For this, I would just use a simple unmanaged switch.

1 person likes this

@Joe E. You're thinking of today's Panelview plus units.  When these units came out back in 2009 - {see the nametag in the photo}.  you would order a display unit logic module and then add a communication module.  @jayA485 given your panelview is 13 years old i'd replace it when you can.

No, all of the 2711P models had at least one ethernet port on the base package.  The given part number has dual port/DLR support (yes, it dates back that far).  The extra communication modules added more physical layer support.  DH+, DH485, DeviceNet, ControlNet, etc.

Both are running SLC5/02 to 1747-AIC link coupler then to the 2711P-RN6 interface with the DH-485 communications running parallel.

Ideally, there would be a third 1747-AIC link coupler installed that served the 2711P-RN6 daughtercard in the PanelView Plus.  The connection would be a 1761-CBL-AS03/AS09 or equivalent from the 6-pin Phoenix Combicon connector (shown in your photo) to the RJ-45 "Peripheral" jack on the 1747-AIC link coupler.   This connection directly to the trunkline works as well, though it's probably over-terminated by those jumpers you see on either side of the RS-485 conductors.

I only have the Runtime file, not the ME file for the HMI program

See if FactoryTalk View ME's application manager utility will let you decompress the *.MER and create a Runtime from it.   That's the easiest way to reconfigure the RSLinx Enterprise drivers that are pointing to the RN6 now, and need to point either to an Ethernet/DH485 gateway or directly over Ethernet to the two new CompactLogix in the future.

It might be possible to carefully reconfigure the RSLinx Enterprise configuration on those terminals separately from the FTView ME Runtime, but you want to be very sure you have appropriate backup files before you go messing with it.

Hmmm....interesting. The first time I saw PV+ HMIs was in 2010 with units that were a few years old at least. They all had Ethernet ports on the base units. We had DH+ modules on some of them. It could be that they were newer than I thought at the time.