mmd604

Point I/o 1734 aent ethernet ip addressing in field

6 posts in this topic

Hello and good day.  I am trying to address a 1734 aent in the field the ip range is 10.0.41.154 so i dont believe I can use the address wheel.  Ive tried using a bootp but no luck.  I was told I need rsnetworx is this correct or is there another piece of software like maybe like connect components ?

You must use bootp/dhcp.  You must have your laptop in the same subnet.  You must make sure you set up the subnet in the bootp tool if you jump around to different subnets (it doesn't automatically pick up an interface's subnet).  If you let the aent talk to a misconfigured bootp tool, you will need to power cycle it (the aent) to get it to try again.

that is correct

manual will explain what the dial switches are for. the factory default setting is to use 192.168.1.X subnet, in which case dial switches are used to specify the last octet of that address so if you set the switches to 123, IP address will be 192.168.1.123. for other settings you really need to check manual.

if this does not work you need to do a factory reset (set switches to 888, power up for 15 seconds, then power down, set 999, power up again and defaults are set).

then to assign IP that is in a range different from default, use AB utility BOOTP and follow manual. of course make sure to disable BOOTP/DHCP or everything so far is useless.

In my experience, Rockwell's BOOT/P tool is a bit flaky. To increase your chances of success, use a patch cable connected directly from the device to the network adapter on your PC. Have the network adapter set to a manual IP address in the subnet you want the device to end up in. Once connected, you should get a BOOT/P request from the device. Match its MAC ID to verify you have the right device before setting its address and disabling BOOT/P.

An alternative that I've found to be more stable than the Rockwell tool is "IP Assign" from Phoenix Contact. Here is a Direct link. If the direct link doesn't work, try any networked product (example below) and scroll down in the downloads list to find it:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us/?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=2702881&library=usen&pcck=P-08-10-16-03-01&tab=5&selectedCategory=ALL

Another "trick" I've used it to set the device dial switches to a known number 123 for example. 

Set the IP of your laptop to 192.168.1.1.

Use a local connection {patch cables and hub or cross over cable} and RSlinx Browse the new device.

Using Module properties in RSLinx set the device to the IP address, Mask and Gateway you desire as the final address. And turn off DHCP/BootP.

Power down device, reset switched to 256 and power up.

Device should be at the final working address.

1 person likes this

I’ve used bobs suggestion above. Works well. Also, Rockwell has a new bootp software that seems more stable than the bootp tool. It’s called Ethernet commissioning tool