Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jgar_

F2-40 Replacement

13 posts in this topic

Hi all- I have a Mitsubishi Melsec F2-40M that is still running a machine. I'd like to replace it with a newer model, but one that I can get up and running quickly. Does anyone have a recommendation on what might be the closest drop-in replacement for this PLC? Thanks in advance!

That plc model is at least 30 years old so as you can imagine is long since obsolete.

An fx3s 40mr would be a suitable replacement but there is a problem.

Getting the program out of the F2 needs special leads that are very rare these days.

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply. Do you think I'm overall better off swapping in a functioning used F2-40M instead of messing with the upgrade? Or can you point me somewhere to read about offloading the F2 program? Thanks!

Thanks @Inntele! I'm not necessarily looking for the newest; more looking for the most similar one that we can drop in place. Do you have any thoughts about getting the program transferred over?

You can't  just swap it for another F2.

There is a unique program inside for that machine.

You are going to have to find someone that has the connecting leads and adaptor.

Good luck.

F2 is from the early 1980s, and it has been obsolete for almost 3 decades, there is nothing you can direct swap in for it.  Even if you manage to buy another working one, you still need to get your program into it.  The unit is too old to support any programming software, it had a dedicated programming handheld.  Basically you would need to have the handheld programmer and write down the code one step at a time, and then convert it to work on a newer PLC.

wow, a blast from the past... very distant past... a real museum piece that somehow still works.:-D

to get program out of it you would need one of several equally ancient options.

like some hardware programmers and cassette decks, or one of LCD programmers... none of those will be of any use unless you have a way to transfer data from tape deck to some media used by todays computers or if you do not mind reading instructions of LCD display or printout.

the best option is a really old computer running MEDOC along with programming interface F2-20GF1.

finding working F2-20GF1 will be a challenge. those who may still have will gladly sell it for a measly few hundred $$$. if this is a one-off case, you will be better of to not waste money on it and rather hire someone with needed tools and skills to transfer the program for you. 

https://ibb.co/9q53xj5

@jgar_ I have no original ideas for transferring the program from this PLC model, which run counter to the suggestions of colleagues. Only the alternative option is to write a program from scratch, relying on connection diagrams and detailed work algorithms.  I'm thinking in case of F2-40 it would not so problematic.

So what am I thinking of?

I remember in my early days of programming we had a black box that plugged into the front of the F2 (or am I thinking of the F1?)

Then a few adapter cables (that changed the protocol i think) then plugged into the PC that ran windows 3.1 (or something like that)

From there I could program with medoc. I never used it much as we we moved on to the massive FX plc's and ooh the lovely A series.

Panic Mode corrected me, the F2-20GF1 did allow this device to connect to MEDOC.  I used to have one when I worked at the Mitsu distributor, bought it on eBay just because we had customers still needing upgrades.

It also depends on your familiarity with PLCs. Like Inntele suggested, i too would most likely just write the new program from scratch.

I like programming and structuring things my way. That requires knowing how machine works. But that's me.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, panic mode said:

It also depends on your familiarity with PLCs. Like Inntele suggested, i too would most likely just write the new program from scratch.

I like programming and structuring things my way. That requires knowing how machine works. But that's me.

:clap: