Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panic mode

Any Modicon Users Out There?

19 posts in this topic

It was a while since I worked on a project using Modicon. Customer insisted on it, so they loaned us software for the project. It was something called Taylorsoft if I still remember correctly. I was rather frustrated by user (un)friendliness, bugs, instruction set, support and much more but nevertheless job was done and I was quick to forget that Modicon (and Taylor) ever existed. Just recently history repeated with another customer. The only difference is that software this time was ProWorx NxT. Why am I writing this? Well I just can't believe that some masochists out there still use products like this. If you do please stop it, wake up and take a look around. You might be surprised what else is out there. In my carrier, I have used tons of different PLCs, DCS, robot, vision systems and more on about 400 projects so far. But my least preferred products are Modicon and the two mentioned software packages. What software do you use? (I have read somewhere about Concept but haven’t seen it myself). In case you are satisfied with it, can you please explain why? Regards, panic mode

ProWorx NxT. The very first program (19 networks) I ever wrote was with this software. And I must say I enjoyed it. The machine had an Gould PC085 that craped out and we had no backups or printed code. It put the metal brackets on the side windows of the older Ford Villager van. It was at that time a service machine that was run for replacement windows only. This machine was VERY simple especially since we had others like it, and had useable code for this machine. It was an A130 plc with about 60 I/O, and took me 3 days of programming to do after we checked all wiring and installed the A130. I'll attach the file. But now I'm pretty much A-B Using RSlogix 500 and Panelbuilder 32. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. vx133.zip

I use the Modicon line. But, then again, that's the only thing I've ever used. ModSoft is the old DOS version of the IDE. Concept is the Windows-compatible version. Concept has multiple 'languages' within: IEC Ladder, Function Block (my favorite), Structured Text, Instruction List, Sequence Language & 984 Ladder Logic. It, also, has Derived Function Block which allows you to create your own Function Blocks. Very handy. I wrote a program to control 24 refrigeration units: In IEC Ladder, it took 3 pages. In Function Block it only took 1 page. Function Block is drag-n-drop. I'm pleased with Concept, but then again, I've never used anything else.

I have been using Modicon PLCs for about 5 years now. I also work with GE 90-30, 90-70 and AB SLC500. I have to say that Modicon is by far my favorite. Granted, that is the one that I am most familiar with but it seems that the others don't have the functionality of Modicon Quantum/Momentum with Concept function block software. Communication is much easier (Modbus, Modbus Plus and Ethernet) than the other two. No separate comm program (RSLinx) or cranky comm coprocessor modules (GE). I still have a few Modicon 984 series that use Taylor Proworx software. These units are rock solid reliable but the software is DOS based and somewhat harder to use. As far as ladder logic software goes I do like the AB RSLogix 500 software much better but I am more impressed with the Modicon hardware and the Modicon Concept IEC function block software is way ahead of AB Controllogix 5000 in my opinion.

Over my years of automation, I have worked with several vendors. I first worked for Omron, and supported all of their products in my region. Omron has an excellent PLC offering, very easy to use. They also have one of the better PLC programming packages I've worked with, CX-Programmer. I still enjoy working with these, and their newer PLCs are really nice, the CS1 and CJ1. Then I worked for a Modicon distributor, and got familiar with their whole automation offering from a support and training standpoint. While I really like Concept and the IEC programming features, I have to say the ProWORX is not all that friendly. Either ProWORX NxT or that crappy sequel called ProWORX 32, which is the buggiest piece of software I've ever seen. Their low end offer is not really competetive (try quoting Momentum against MicroLogix sometime.) But their real PLC product these days is the TSX Premium and TSX Micro. Quantum is a dinosaur. Any other PLC vendor out there can do the same things in 1/4 of the size. And since I had 984 and Quantum customers, they didn't like Premium and Micro because they programmed differently thant they were used to. I've also worked on the side with AB, and the RS-Logix 500 platform. I've worked with SLC500 and MicroLogix, and I don't think it's a bad product, but haven't used it suffiently to make an educated opinion on them. Now I work for a Mitsubishi distributor, in a technical support role once again. And so far, I do like their software (GX-Developer). Their PLCs are much more in line price and feature wise on the low end than Modicon was. And their Q series platform is quite the powerhouse. Multiple processors, dedicated motion processors, networking, and all in a nice small rack PLC.

I must add my opinion about Modicon software: I started using it in 1993 with very old Taylor software. In 1994 we switch to ProworxPlus made by the same Taylor Soft. It was much better than any other product for Modicon. DOS based it was way more powerfull than Modsoft or DMC. I really enjoyed working with ProworxPlus for years until Windows programs came up. I did not like any Windows based editors, because normally in the shop enviroment you have no mouse and all Windows programs using it. We used ProworxPlus until we switched to Windows2000. During last few months I am using Proworx NXT and don't really like it, especially fact that this is still 16 bit program and uses too much CPU power in online mode. Little history: Taylor was excellent company until Total Control bougth them in the late 90s. Total Control really had no intrest in Modicon products and looks like this line was put behind of all HMI projects. After that GE bought Total Control and had no intention to support competitor's PLC products, so they sold Proworx line to AEG Modicon as a replacement to Modsoft. No wonder this product is so obsolete and buggy now, no one cares about it anymore. Only left from the original program is a name... Alex Edited by PLC_Cables

Now Concept 2.5 really rocks. Finally, a useful software package that can do all of the IEC languages even uploads (with comments) as well as the traditional 984 enviornment. Only possible with the newer hardware though. The simulator works well too.

I am working in automation business during of 4 years. The used programs is Concept 2.5 (earlier Concept 2.5) and EFB Toolkit. I programme Modicon TSX Quantum with IEC HSBY for automation of oil pump station. My project is allow the: - process the 2000 discrete inputs; - process the 500 analog inputs; - process the any number outputs; - if module is failing, then his inputs have sign of invalidation; - the new signal can describe with HMI without stopping and downloading project in CPU; - the new equipment can describe with HMI without stopping and downloading project in CPU; - the any signal (logical or physical) can describe with one word; - the timescan is 150 ms with HSBY. I think, Concept 2.5 rather good package (if Schneider Electric will care more of elimination of mistakes, it becomes even better)

I work in a large manufacturing plant that has a lot of different PLC's and NC's. We have quite a few machines using Modicons, from 484's through 984's. The ProWorksNXT is fine for the newer Modicons, but will not work with the 484's. The only thing we have that will communicate with them is the old TaylorSoft. Anyone know where I can get a copy - cheap? If so, drop me a line at james-cottone@insightbb.com

I was led to believe that Modsoft will program the 484 and 584. Don't know, as I've stayed away from DOS software most of my career...

I have used Concept in Power plant project with Modicon Quantum PLCs. it is very flexible to use it and I am satisfied

Well, I'm actually an instructor with an automation company's training division in Thane, near Mumbai India. As a matter of routine, I handle the Twido, Micro & Premium PLCs now marketed under the Schneider brand. The programming package we use is the PL7 and also the Twidosoft which is highly similar. What I like about the Modicon/Telemecaniqe range is their Grafcet or SFC flowcharting techniqe. It's wonderful. It helps in properly structuring larger algortihms which are predominantly sequential in nature. We also handle the Siemens S7-300 and the Allen-Bradley SLC Plcs here. I regularly visit this site. Particularly helpful was Sergei Troizky's idea posted in the Mitsubishi section to make a simple programming cable. Regards, best wishes Raj

This is a link to the concept programing software trial download. Check it out. Concept Trial

Hi, I work at a UK site and have maintained, modified and updated Modicon PLC's since the 1980's. I have always used Taylor software from the old dos based systems to the ProWork Nxt system, over 1800 networks of software in the main system. The site runs on two 984B's with S908 hot standby systems and an immense amount of remote I/O B800 series 24v (two racks in each of eight substations on a 164 acre site all connected via fibre on Modbus). A couple of 984-685 systems are connected via fibre on Modbus Plus and a single Quantum system specific to one process complete with its own PanelMate and a remote Factory Link SCADA. 2 DEC PDP 11/83's provide the proprietery SCADA & MIS hot standby system for the main control system. All the above becomes redundant along with me around November 2004.

Along time ago, I was Midwest Regional AE, if you think PROWORX32 was bad, what about Omron's CPT attempt??? Sorry, doing first Modicon project, looking around, saw your post - had to comment.

Sorry to everyone........... Most of you have a big experience in automation, have worked and are still working and are confident with many brand of PLC and related software, but........... but.... sorry again....... Nobody know something about Modicon actually!! You are talking about Modsoft (DOS application.......!!! ) You are talking about ProWorx (Oh God!!!!) Someone of you could appreciate Concept (Old again!!) Who knows of UnityPro ?? All Schneider (Modicon, Telemecanique) PLC like QUANTUM, PREMIUM, M340, except Twido, Zelio (Low level PLC and Safety like Preventa), are programming with a unique Software named Unity. That software is a great software it is a result of long experience (I suppose). Memory management similar to Logix5000 (allocated and not allocated variables), extended library, easy communication and so on............ many good and of course bad things but actual... we are in 2008!! not in 90's or worst in 80's!! I am really astonishing to listen to you, maybe because I live in Europe and might be different of all other country. (Modicon, SquareD are american!!!) Anyway I'm expert enough on quite all range of Schneider PLCs so I'm at disposal for any questions and problems as long as I can. Good job to everyone (sorry for my little english too!!)

Hi All, I have been watching this post all the way from over at the AB forums and agree totally with aggattapauer...it is amazing that no one had mentioned UnityPro??? I have had a bit of experience with Modicon Quantum and Telemecanique TSX plcs and used the Modsoft and Unity software. I have never used Concept or Proworx but I have heard negative comments about Concept from other programmers. I didn't mind Modsoft however compared to the ease of modern windows based software it is a dinosaur and I was one of the first in Australia to use the Unity software when it was in its Beta version still. I liked Unity even though it was extremely buggy at first, I found it to be far better than the Modsoft and it is designed to program all the plcs in the Schneider stable. The latest Unity software is where I would be heading........having said that I haven't had anything to do with the program for years but surley it could have only got better?

I haven't touched a Modicon since 2003. That's why I don't know Unity. I know it exists, it didn't back then, but the installed base around here still uses PROWORX since they like old fashioned Modicon stuff. It's hard to get people who learn one way of programming to switch to another, especially from Modicon's extremely basic ladder logic over to IEC style programming. When I last touched the Modicon stuff, Concept was king. I did all my programs in IEC as often as customers would allow. But we had many customers who would not consider Premium and TSX Micro beacuse the programming (PL7) was unfamiliar. I hope Unity is all the Modicon guys hyped it up to be. When i was at Equity University years ago at Modicon, they showed us an early copy, or tried to, it kept locking up on them. And I was one of the lucky people who sold ProWORX32 when it came out (and didnt work and was pulled for 4 months) since my customer was told it was the only way to get his Spectrum Controls I/O cards for Symax supported in Quantum Remote IO rack network. I only ever worked with CPT when I had to convert and type in an instruction list program, since it didn't require all the networks that Syswin did. CX Programmer is a good clean software package... although I am a few versions behind...

ok Crossbow I've got your point. Please forget Proworx, Modsoft, PL7, Concept.... they are still "alive" just because the installed base!! Of course what I've said is when we talk about the actual and future situation. Unity Pro V4 is the last one You can compare UnityPro with Step7 or Logix5000... do not compare with Omron, GE or other software product