denise01

Data Logging Floating Point Access 2000

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

Our version of CX Supervisor uses Microsoft Access 2000 for logging data. My management want to display the amount of waste we are making as a percentage to be logged every minute. I have done all the maths and the answer is stored in a Data Memory area as a floating point eg 2.187%. I would like this to be displayed in a live Access Field but Access 2000 will only allow me to display as an Integer eg 2 or 3% etc.

Does anyone know if there is a work around or if a later version of Developer uses a later version of Access that would allow a floating point value to be displayed.

Regards Peter

Hi Peter,  Happy new year  <:-)

To start off, is your DB file extension .MDB or .ACCDB?  CX-Supervisor uses ODBC drivers for writing Access files.  Most versions use Access 2010 drivers, although V4.2 uses Access 2016.  Regardless, you should be able to use any drivers to write ".MDB" database for use with any version "Microsoft Access desktop application", or 2010/2016 drivers to write the newer ".accdb" database for use with "Microsoft Access 2010" or later.  So there should not be any problems with versioning and all support floating point values.

I've never heard of "...live Access field..." so not sure what you mean (can you explain further?), but I would highlight that it is important the data type of that data field needs to be correct to store floating point data. If it is a "Number" field have you used "Increase Decimals" button to add the decimal places? Does it display with decimal places in Access?  Also note the CX-Supervisor point must be "Real" instead of "Integer" type. Does the "Point Maintenance" dialog correctly show the decimal places?

It's normal for managers to use Microsoft Access for offline data analysis, but not for minute by minute data monitoring. I thought the database was locked anyway so couldn't be accessed while logging - have you tried?  Sounds to me more they want a HMI screen, OEE Dashboard, Report or web page to monitor this

Hope that gives some clues,
Regards,
BB

Hi Bertie. Happy New Year to you.

I have CX Supervisor version 3.50 and after compiling a 2016 Access Database when I try to connect through CX Supervisor the Database isn't recognised. It will recognise Access 2000 but of course that does not support Floating Point. It's maybe the way that I am saving the Database but I only get four options. We use Office 365 so maybe a problem there.

Regards 

Hi Bertie. If I set a point in Supervisor as Real which is the settings for the floating point. I have tried IEE Floating but that's not right.

Hi again Bertie,

This afternoon I tried the decimals setting in the Access database but after I had saved as Access 2000 I ran in Runtime but found that the data wouldn't log. I basically save the database as a 2000 file to my companies cloud type drive and log data at 1 minute intervals. I have managed to log data using IEE Floating Point but it rounds up or down the value instead of showing a decimal point. All other numbers and Real values log ok it's just the floating point values. If I use anything other than Access 2000 then the database is not recognised in Supervisor 

So, have you investigated upgrading your version of Supervisor?

Will that help? Think version 4.2 is out but will it provide us with better options with regards to Floating Points? 

I don't know myself, but it seems likely to support newer DBs.

first of all is the value correctly saved in DB? if you open it in Access can you see the correct (not rounded) value? Can you manually set value in correct format?

that could narrow down where the problem is. maybe everything is fine and the only issue is display format/settings of the "Live Monitor".

one could also play with DB and create calculated field/column that produces any format or representation you like.

Thanks for your help. In the end I did the number field with a Single setting and 7 decimal places and it now logs every minute showing a floating point reading.

Regards