Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbyrne15

1305 Variable frequency drive

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with programming Allen-Bradley's 1305 adjustable ac drive. I've chosen to base my final-year project at college on this drive (that's the one I have access to). I plan to control its speed with a PLC-5. Any guidance or pointers you have would be appreciated - I have numerous questions which have arisen from reading the instructuin manual. Thanks in advance, Richard.

What type of questions do you have, the PLC5, an analog module, and a small amount of discrete I/O should work just fine to control this drive. JJ

Are you going to use discrete/analog or RIO to control this drive? The RIO option will give you more flexibility and access to more controls. Fill in the details and I am sure we can give you some help. Edited by HalBishop

Excellent, thanks for your quick responses... I intend to use an analog input card with a dc generator tachometer to "sense" speed of motor rotation. The drive will be connected to the PLC via a 1203-GD1 communication module - all of the equipment used is available at college. I will also be attempting to hook up a HMI (don't know which one yet), to provide some sort of visual feedback. The speed of the motor will be altered by a proney (spelling?) brake attached to the shaft - I am aiming to increase the output frequency of the drive as the motor is loaded down, so that a constant speed will be kept. If speed increases too much, the motor will slow down. My initial questions are: * Can the drive be programmed as a stand-alone unit to cycle through several preset frequencies in its own little program? I've looked at the drive's instruction manual and haven't found any help there. * Where can I find information about communicating between the PLC and the drive via the 1203 comms module? The datasheet (user manual) for the module has some information, but I'm thinking that more info. could help. The programming itself is not too much of an issue - I have some exposure to the SLC-500 and MicroLogix 1500 from this past semester which I can use to help me along. There is one other thing though - how would the speed feedback normally be accomplished. I realise that the voltage generated by the tachometer will be proportional to the speed of rotation, so is it just a case of scaling the voltage produced to match the range of motor speeds? Then I'd have to think about some way of altering the output frequency to adjust the speed. Any help, such as application notes, would be fantastic. I'm not expecting everything to fall into my lap, but I would really appreciate as much help as possible. Thanks again, Richard.

This drive can not be programmed as a stand alone unit, it only does what it is told to do. It can have Preset frequencies set, but there agian you will need to tell the drive what presets to use Not sure what manual you have but this online manual shows a pretty good representation of a step by step procedure to interface from the 1203. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um011_-en-p.pdf If the drive is set up correctly it should compensate itself somewhat for load variations. What type of speeds and loads are you thinking of using for your project JJ Edited by TechJunki

Thanks for that link, I'll look it over. Do you mean that my PLC-5 ladder logic will have to send the relevant control bits to the drive to change the frequency? Richard.

If you use the presets, you will need discrete Inputs to the drive on the terminal block to select the presets you wish to use. (TB2, 16,17,18 for preset 1-7) I would not reccomend using the presets, from what I understand you are wanting to do. I would send the drive a real value from the PLC to control your speed using RIO. JJ

RIO? = Remote I/O? Sorry, not very familiar with all the acronyms Ummmm.... Will I have to configure the drive's frequency select as "4-20mA" then? In order to send the drive a specific frequency I mean... Richard

You will set "Freq Select 1" which is parameter 5 in the 1305 drive to the adapter# where the 1203 comm module will be plugged into on the drive. This will most likely be Adapter2 as Adapter1 is generally the HIM module Then the speed is moved from the PLC across Remote I/O to the 1203 module and then to the drive as an integer value. JJ

You can get speed feedback from the 1203. The speed feedback comes over as an integer that can be scaled to read percentage. This will eliminate the analog card and the tachometer. The drive will supply a rotation direction from the input word. You will also be able to monitor if the drive is at speed, faulted and other paramters. You can use the data links to monitor motor amps, voltage, heatsink temp, etc.