Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hites1997

Money?

5 posts in this topic

I have been at my job now for 3 years. When I came there the machines where more gears, clutches, chains, and sprockets. We got new drives in and I was asked to install, and I did. As time has went on my boss has asked for me to look at the PLC on the machine to see if I can speed up the process ( Basic Ladder Design ), and I did. Shaved 2 tenths of a second off every cycle. Don't sound like much, but this cycles 25 times per minute x 9 machines x 16 hours a day. I have built a machine using timer relays and manual switches to do a different job that saves the company around $48 a hour. Now we are getting a new machine in and it is my job to wire it up. My boss has asked for me to put a PLC on it and write a program so that it will work. He thinks since I have played with the other ones I can do it. I have wrote a basic program at home with NPN proximity switches to turn on and off each process of the machine and reset each time. Just to give you a little back ground. Now for the question. Since I am using there software and PLC should I ask for a raise? I know my boss wont give me one. He is tight, but not the owner of the company. When I was hired I was to be just Building Maintenance. I have learned some Ladder Logic on the job. Please don't hold back. Let me know what you think. Am I being greedy? I don't make much and this machine will make around $.10 to $.20 a minute. Thanks in advance.

If your boss doesn't feel the need to give you a raise without asking, maybe it is time to move on to a new job. I have been programming for more years than I care to count. I have never asked for a raise. If I thought I was being underpaid/overworked, I went elsewhere to utilize my talents. My present employer has never been shy about giving raises when they are justified. I do this job because I like it. It is not all about the money. Some days I would do my job for free. Some days I do (salaried worker). I worked on Saturday. All day. No extra pay. Job satisfaction is the only thing that makes me work 60-70 hours a week for 40 hours pay.

Go ahead, ask for a raise. State your case as you've presented it here. Your efforts are making X dollars per hour for the company, and you think you should get a piece of it. Presented that way, the worst the boss is likely to do is turn you down. You can buttress your case even further by checking to see what a person with your skill set might be earning at another company. Just don't make it an ultimatum, as in "If I don't get a raise, I'm outta here". Presented like that, your boss is likely to call your bluff.

I will go with steve with this, there are lots of smaller companys that think that if you dont ask for a raise you are happy doing what you are doing for what they are paying you. If you arnt happy ask for a raise do it nicely and politely, if you use email, email your request pointing out how much your skills have saved the company (nicely) and make sure you cc it to your bosses boss. If you dont get satisfaction after that then you should start looking for another job. peace

Good subject. A-Industry big (gigant)=> Constant access of people with automation knowledge B-Industry small =>Little access.Or not reconize technology Conclusions: A- Paid less of due offers. (Frequent have acess to request offers) B- Paid the adequate or more . How much valley service? One exactly service, frequent it is the same value for industry A and B? If the difference exists depends on which factors. I agree, HalBishop. I use a gradual discounting in function of the complexity! Edited by Macgyver BR