cszikszai

Tag Data Link Connection Timeout

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am a new user to this Forum and definitely a newbie PLC user, so I'm not sure if this is a simple mistake. I am currently trying to correct the logic (of a sensor) on a PLC program to get a manufacturing machine back up and running. This is an issue that I have fixed via PLC several times previously, but for some reason I am having issues fixing it this time.

The issue that I am having is that when I try to dig into the Logic of the PLC program (Programming > POUs > Programs > Logic > ...), nothing shows up where there is typically a PLC command ladder. I get the error "No instruction in rung" next to all of the PLC program modules. I am connecting to a Omron NX1P2 CPU via laptop & Ethernet cord.

To give you background on my troubleshooting process, I have verified that the I am connected to the PLC controller, by using the Windows Run program to ping the IP address of the controller. After verifying connection, I attempted to connect to the controller using SYSMAC studio. At this step, a troubleshooting window appeared with the issue "Minor fault" "Tag Data Link Connection Timeout". When I look at the Controller Status at the bottom right corner of SYSMAC, it says that I am online and connected to the correct IP address (green circle). Under that, ERR/ALM has a red circle next to RUN Mode.

Ignoring the troubleshooting window, I can click Synchronization and "Transfer from Controller". A dialog box pops up and reads "...Controller does not have the POU program source...". Pressing yes to ignore this, the transfer completes. This is where I encounter the issue of having nothing show up within the path of Programming > POUs > Programs > Logic > ... .

I have a feeling that this is a connectivity or settings issue, but I am not sure. I have checked my ethernet splitter (D-Link DES-105) and everything seems to be connected and working.

If anyone has some insight into this issue I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!

Best

cszikszai

Edited by cszikszai
clarity

10 hours ago, cszikszai said:

Controller does not have the POU program source

Pretty sure that's your problem.

1 person likes this

Yup, you cannot upload the program from the CPU if the source code was not downloaded.  You answered your own question, there was nothing to upload so they are blank.

1 person likes this

Thank you guys for the responses! You are correct.

I called Omron support and they told me that the source code was not uploaded onto the PLC, which is why I couldn’t edit the code by taking it off the PLC.

I didn’t realize that the PLC program and Source Code were two separate things… baby steps…

When working in IEC programming, the code is written in one or more languages, such as ladder logic and structured text.  It is then compiled into the machine code required to operate the machine.  But there is no way to know which parts are written in which languages once its compiled.  For this reason, IEC style PLCs will download two copies of the program.  The compiled one to run, and the source code for upload so people can see the original code.  Some people do not download the source code to protect their code from being uploaded and copied, while some do not download it to save memory in the CPU.

You will need a copy of the original Sysmac Studio project file to work with this program.

1 person likes this