Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kdobsontn

NA5 Stuck Showing "Initialising Variable System"

1 post in this topic

I encountered an issue that technical support was not exactly able to help me out with, and I wanted to share what I learned here for the next guy.

Specifications:

Omron NA5 HMI v1.10 connected to NJ PLC via Ethernet

Issue:

Made a change to a screen where I copied and pasted a button from a different screen.  The screen where the button was copied to had some sort of issue, but it was still able to compile and transfer to the HMI.  It worked for several days until the HMI was power cycled by maintenance, and it was stuck in a black loading screen saying "Initialising Variable System" with a scrolling wheel and green LED on the HMI panel.  It stayed in this loop indefinitely.  The HMI still had a ping, could be connected to from Sysmac Studio, and could be transferred to and from.  Troubleshooting section of the HMI mentions something about initializing failure with a red LED which required a system recovery, but no description for this state.

Troubleshooting:

• Power cycled the HMI, but this resulted it getting stuck back in the same loop.
  • Connected with Sysmac Studio with most recent backup and transferred from the HMI to get the current program.  Before transferring in this synchronize step, I could see a page that was on the target device that wasn't in the source.  I'm not exactly sure how it got there as it wasn't in my backup, but I had green in the comparison list when I shouldn't have.  
  • Reverted program changes, downloaded to the HMI, and power cycled.  Still stuck in black screen with same message.
  • After several other modifications, I eventually had a heavily stripped down program of the backup and downloaded to HMI.  Power cycled with same message.

Resolution:

In Sysmac Studio under HMI View, select HMI from ribbon, select Clear All Memory, confirm the target device, and select OK.  Once this has factory reset, I made sure the IP address was configured as necessary, connected, transferred backup, and all is well with the HMI now.  Even after loading a backup from several months ago, I could not clear this issue without a factory reset.

Hope this helps!

1 person likes this