7 posts in this topic

I had FactoryTalk ME and SE Studio V12 on my Windows 10 machine. A few days ago I needed to use to V10 for some alarm functions and because FT will not let you have multiple versions on one laptop, I had to downgrade to V10. Everything had been working fine until the uninstall of V12 and the install of V10. Whether in ME or SE, and even in a newly created project, opening any display crashes Studio. I have attempted two clean installs and can't seem to get it fixed. It feels more like a Windows OS issue but we're a bit stumped. Anyone else run into this?

I ran into something similar back when I was using ME v4 where it wouldn't run and I couldn't fully uninstall or reinstall it. I ended up having to do a clean install in a virtual machine. It messed up my RSLogix software too so I had to put them all in VMs. That's all I do nowadays. I have 3 or 4 VMs for View Studio, each with its ownversion of Studio installed.

There may be a way to clean it up, but I never figured it out.

@Joe E.That's what I'm running into. There's a knowledge base topic that covers this but it's for V6. And I'm in a situation where the company manages the VMs on my company-owned laptop, so your fix is somewhere between impractical and impossible. (Damned IT people, lol). 

Out of frustration I decided to re-install V12. ME is fine but SE refuses to open any project that I haven't created brand new. All existing SE projects or those newly restored from .apa files opens FT SE Studio, but the project explorer window is blank. No server, no display files, no FactoryTalk Linx, no nothin'! I'm out of answers and have just started clicking and right-clicking any and every random thing trying to find ANYthing that will at least get me back to where I started. 

I've reached out to a couple Rockwell developers (Rockwell employees who (among other things) write training curriculum) and waiting to see if they have a solution. If someone else has any ideas, please!, let's hear them. If I find the solution I'll be sure to post it.

Crap....

Our IT folks are in control of a LOT of stuff on our PCs but I've at least been able to manage my own Virtual Machines. Without that, I would need multiple PCs. Especially at my previous location where we had to support 4 different versions of Siemens S7 Technology under Simatic Manager. There were 6 PCs we used to support the machines and each one had about 8 or so virtual machines for different software packages that were mutually incompatible but that we needed to use. It got a bit cumbersome to manage but we were at least able to do so locally. At my current location, I have about 4 total VMs that I use regularly and a few others that are more occasional. I'd have a very difficult time doing my job without VMs so I feel your pain.

I'd offer to test your projects, but I only have FT View Studio for ME. We don't use SE here.

Should have been able to convert project to v12 and create the MER at v10 for the PV.

@pcmccartney1 I'm trying to work on a V10 project with HMI tag alarms, whose functions are not available in V12, so I need a working V10. Not to belabor the point, but when I "downgraded" to V10 I could open a project and everything looked good until I opened any display. Then it crashed. 

Now that I've re-installed V12, I can upgrade any existing project to V12 (sans HMI tag alarms) and things look ok on the surface, but I'm slowly finding other bugs. Things like the Runtime Security won't open in a newly created project, or FT Studio refuses to open any previously existing SE projects, even when restored from a .apa file. I would normally suspect Windows and my laptop, but I have a co-worker who has simultaneously gone through the same up- and downgrades for the same reasons I am, and he's experiencing very similar issues (though not as bad as mine) with his laptop. That leads me to believe this has to be a Rockwell FT Studio thing. 

I think it's going to be another late night trying to figure this out but still open for any suggestions here. 

When it comes to PLCs, I'm generally a Rockwell guy, but HMIs....not so much. My experience with FT View Studio has been mostly negative with a lot of the same intermittent bugs I saw in v4 being still present in v9 or so. I haven't done much in v11 or v12 so I can't say they're there too. I would seriously suspect View Studio being your issue before Windows, but I'm probably biased against it. It could also be a joint effort between them...