Francisco1998

Serial communication with KINCO PLC

5 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone. Nice to meet you all.

I am programming a KINCO PLC model HP043-20DT using ladder on KINCO BUILDER. I need to establish a serial communication with my PC. The PLC has a RS485 port which I adapted it to USB to connect with my PC. The PLC allows, at least, two ways to establish serial communication: MODBUS or free-protocol. I've read the software manual and tried to reproduce the examples it provides using the instruction blocks for MODBUS (MBUSR and MBUSW) and free-protocol (XMT and RCV) communications. However, I could not receive the data on the PLC. I could effectively transmit data with XMT from the PLC to the PC and I could verify through a tool called Access Port. In relation to MODBUS, I am using a simulation tool called Multiway from OMRON, however, I get no response from the PLC.

If any of you have some experience with this software or this device, I would like to ask you how could I solve the problem.

Thank you for your attention. Kind regards.

Industrial communications involves
- a hardware bus,
- a protocol (set of rules for communication) and
- software that can handle the data at either or both ends.

A primary requirement is to determine what you are trying to accomplish with the communications.
- program the logic?
- get process data from the PLC into the PC?  Log the data?  Display the data?
- send recipes from the PC to the PLC?
- have the PC act as an HMI for the PLC?
- get process data from the PC into the PLC?
- something else

Hardware bus:
Both devices have to support the hardware bus or you'll need a converter, like RS-232 to RS-485 or RS-485/Ethernet

Modbus generally does not run on USB.  That's not to say that it can't but that would be more of a special case than a standard situation.

Protocol:
This is biggie because the PLC states that it runs Modbus or some proprietary protocol.  Which one is the best choice depends upon what the proprietary protocol is designed to do (and with what software on what platform) and how that matches up to what you are trying to accomplish.

Software:
Do you have softare that does what you are trying to accomplish?  What hardware and protocols does it use?

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, DanW said:

Industrial communications involves
- a hardware bus,
- a protocol (set of rules for communication) and
- software that can handle the data at either or both ends.

A primary requirement is to determine what you are trying to accomplish with the communications.
- program the logic?
- get process data from the PLC into the PC?  Log the data?  Display the data?
- send recipes from the PC to the PLC?
- have the PC act as an HMI for the PLC?
- get process data from the PC into the PLC?
- something else

Hardware bus:
Both devices have to support the hardware bus or you'll need a converter, like RS-232 to RS-485 or RS-485/Ethernet

Modbus generally does not run on USB.  That's not to say that it can't but that would be more of a special case than a standard situation.

Protocol:
This is biggie because the PLC states that it runs Modbus or some proprietary protocol.  Which one is the best choice depends upon what the proprietary protocol is designed to do (and with what software on what platform) and how that matches up to what you are trying to accomplish.

Software:
Do you have softare that does what you are trying to accomplish?  What hardware and protocols does it use?

Dear DanW,

Thanks for your response.

The purpose of the communication I'm trying to establish is to send data from the PC to the PLC in order to change the value of some variables.

The day after I posted, I could established the communication between devices through a so called free-protocol from the programming software of KINCO. I'm still trying to communicate through MODBUS, so I appreciate your comments. 

In relation to the hardware bus, I'm converting RS-485 from the PLC to a USB port in the PC. I could verify it works with the free-protocol communication, however, not with MODBUS yet. The fact that it could not run on USB could has something to do.

In relation to the protocol, the manual states the PLC could communicate through MODBUS and this free protocol I mentioned above.

Finally, I have two software I think could work. On one hand, I have Access Port, which I've already tested with free protocol communication and it worked fine. On the other hand, I have Multiway from OMRON. My local supplier recommended this software to simulate MODBUS communication. Here is where I'm stucked right now. Even though I could communicate with Access Port and the free-protocol, I could not receive responses from the PLC when I send request from the PLC through this MODBUS simulator.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Kind regards!

hi,

I attached delta plc for modbus which i programmed in C#.(china made for delta dvp es2 which is fully compatible)
Hope it is of help to U.

For rs485, the PC will take one port of rs485 from plc and plc another rs485 port connect to modbus modules.
PC side will act as master also plc also act as master. U can try the modbus poll slave to emulate the modbus modules salve hardware.

ModBUS_REV2_ES2.isp

modbusAlarmES.rar

Communication Addresses.pdf

Edited by limcm
1 person likes this

Dear limcm,

Thanks for sharing your work. I'll keep it in mind.

Kind regards!