Webbs

ifm AL1322 Ethernet/IP

24 posts in this topic

I am trying to set up a ifm AL1322 EtherNet/IP IO Link Master to communicate with a NX1P2 or CS1 PLC.

When using Network Configurator I have added the EDS file and added the AL1322 to the network and set its IP address.  It shows all the parameters in the device but if you make a change it says it has downloaded but nothing on the unit changes.  If you make a change to a parameter and then verify it says there are no difference even though there are.  I have set up the communication with the PLC but there is an error 

Establishing a tag data link connection failed.

This is the same for both the CS1 and NX1P2.

I have also tried setting it up using Sysmacstudio for the NX1P2 and get the same result.

I have had the unit back to ifm and there is no issue with it running with an AB PLC.  I can also communicate with the unit using the ifm LR software.

Any ideas why the Omron software is unable to read from or write to the unit?

ifm_IOL_Master_AL1322.eds

13 hours ago, Webbs said:

It shows all the parameters in the device but if you make a change it says it has downloaded but nothing on the unit changes.

Typically if there are any settings for the remote device (AL1322), they will be made either by manual switch or the manufacturer's software. Network Configurator or Sysmac Studio will not download to it. 

Use the manufacturer's methods to set the IP address. Network Config and Sysmac Studio will get the information from the EDS file. Double check the tag sizes match.

If you share a wireshark capture of the traffic, I can help diagnose the problem.  While I haven't put these two together, there's nothing special about either's EtherNet/IP implementation--this should "just work".  When using the NX1P2, I strongly recommend using a structured type in CJ format to map the data elements and verify their byte offsets.

4 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

Typically if there are any settings for the remote device (AL1322), they will be made either by manual switch or the manufacturer's software. Network Configurator or Sysmac Studio will not download to it. 

Use the manufacturer's methods to set the IP address. Network Config and Sysmac Studio will get the information from the EDS file. Double check the tag sizes match.

I have been able to configure the IP address and that all works as expected.  There are no jumpers on this unit and the only setting that can be changed via the ifm software is the Port Process Size.  The documents from ifm for setting this up show you can also change this also with Network Configurator.

I have had devices where there are no parameters to configure in Network Configurator and understand that.  This one offers settable parameters but then won't allow them to be set.

I have set it up using the default tag size settings and it doesn't work.

I also set up a NX-EIC202 on the same network to make sure that side was all working ok and that happily worked but the AL1322 still had the issues.

ifm.JPG

According to the EDS file, this device expects a 98-byte configuration assembly, which carries the parameters to set up the profile and I/O sizes, etc.

It appears you can select from multiple assemblies. Network Configurator was used for NJ/NX EIP setup early on before Sysmac Studio had a configuration utility. Try using this utility instead of Network Configurator. 

1) Create tags. Don't forget to set your 'Network Publish' attribute to Input and Output.

Mr_PLC_AL_03.JPG.67dc4fc348303e2094d8b6c

2) In Sysmac Studio, goto Tools > Ethernet/IP Connection Settings. Right click in the upper right pane and choose Display EDS Library then install your EDS file.

Mr_PLC_AL_02.JPG.828ac266145522091d32c83

3) Create Tag Sets for your inputs and outputs. I usually just name my tag set the same as the variable it will contain.

Mr_PLC_AL_04.JPG.2a07d1222131d1fcab88575

4) Set the connection. Add the Target Device (AL1322) then populate with your new variables and the Target Variable from the EDS information.

Mr_PLC_AL_05.thumb.JPG.b71d13937b399f815

Mr_PLC_AL_01.JPG

4 hours ago, pturmel said:

If you share a wireshark capture of the traffic, I can help diagnose the problem.  While I haven't put these two together, there's nothing special about either's EtherNet/IP implementation--this should "just work".  When using the NX1P2, I strongly recommend using a structured type in CJ format to map the data elements and verify their byte offsets.

This is the first device i have had trouble with setting up Ethernet/IP.  Yes once you have the data sizes the same it should just work.....  ifm have a downloaded setup tutorial which i followed (and also online with an ifm tech) and still had the same issue.  There is an example program which has a tag set that matches the structure of the data coming back and this also has no joy.

I haven't used wire shark before so not 100% sure on how it works.  I did install it and found this in the log.  192.168.94.246 is the AL1322 and 192.168.94.50 is the PLC

35    19.650259    OmronTat_bb:80:55    Broadcast    ARP    60    Who has 192.168.94.246? Tell 192.168.94.50

Attached is the error i get.  If is set the data transfer size to be in correct i still get the same error.

Error.JPG

4 hours ago, pturmel said:

I have tried the setup via network configurator and in sysmac studio.  The ifm setup examples for Omron show both methods.  I have tried 100 & 150 and also 101 & 151 with the same result.

Here is the wireshark capture when i used network configurator to download and upload the parameters from the AL1322 (192.168.94.246) from my laptop (192.168.94.241).

Network Config.pcapng

Try updating the IP addresses in this export I've been poking around with.  You shouldn't need anything preconfigured on the IFM except IP address stuff.

If this doesn't work, try getting a wireshark capture from the Omron to the IFM.

MrPLC IFM AL1322.smc2

Note that I picked assemblies 102 and 151 to test--they have the simplest layout.  I had to update those assembly sizes separately in the parameters.

I created structures for all of the possible combinations of assemblies and port data sizes for you to play with.

I tried your program and i get all the same errors.  I have attached the wire shark for the download and then a power cycle.

I have tried a different IP address for the AL1322 (192.168.94.2) and still get the same result.

Download.pcapng

Restart.pcapng

Restart.pcapng

Your wireshark captures have no meaningful content.  (Try a display filter of "ip.addr == 192.168.94.0/24" to see what I mean.)  Probably because your network isn't showing you packets that go between the PLC and the IFM.  You need a mirror port on a smart switch or your laptop needs to be the bridge itself.

Anyways, I was looking for the EtherNet/IP "Forward Open" packet and the IFM's response to that.  I'm not sure precisely where you are going wrong, but the starter kit for this family of products from IFM for Omron strongly suggests it should work.

I don't have a smart with this setup.  I will see if I can do anything to make my laptop a bridge and see if i can get in between the coms from the PLC to the AL1322. 

All the info i from ifm points to this as simple and there isn't anything that should cause any problems. I have the EtherCAT version and it works as expected.

I will post any update if i can get the traffic between them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have got a USB Ethernet adaptor and setup a bridge. 

The bridge IP is 192.168.94.91. 

PLC 192.168.94.50

AL1322 192.168.94.246

I can see there are failures there.  If you can shed some light on the meaning as networking isn't a strength that would be great.  Thanks

Bridge.pcapng

The failure is a revision mismatch.  That usually means your device doesn't match the EDS file you used.  The PLC asked for v1.6.  What is the actual revision of your AL1322 ?

Here are some screen shots from the ifm LR software.

The fieldbus firmware is showing 3.4.0.7.  I can modify the esd file but what is the version i should change it to? 

AL1322 01.JPG

AL1322 02.JPG

AL1322 03.JPG

I have edited the EDS file and changed the Major and Minor Version to both 2.3 and 3.4 and get the same errors.  Attached is the wireshark logs with both versions of the EDS.

Bridge 2.3.pcapng

Bridge 3.4.pcapng

Hard to decipher, but either v2.3 or v3.4.  Look for an EDS file with those versions and try them.  Or edit the original EDS, but only if you are sure IFM didn't release a proper one.

An Omron engineer helped me find the correct version number using CIP

The command via CIP to get the version number is

0E 01 01 04

Attached is the modified EDS file with matching versions numbers.

It is all happy now setup via Sysmac Studio with a NX1P2.  I now need to try via CX-Integrator to get it working on a CS1.

Thanks for your help pturmel.

ifm_IOL_Master_AL1322.eds

1 hour ago, Webbs said:

The command via CIP to get the version number is

0E 01 01 04

To clarify for future readers, that would be service 0x0e (get attribute single) class 1 instance 1 (identity) attribute 4 (revision, major/minor in two bytes).

In RSLinx Lite (the free version), I would simply right click on the device and select "Device Properties" from the menu.  That yields the complete device Identity.  I'm not sure what the simplest way is to do that with Omron software.

Yes pturmel your are correct, I needed to expand on the code used and how.....

I used the Molex-ODVA software I downloaded from the ifm website.
https://www.ifm.com/nz/en/product/AL1322?tab=documents
Ethernet Configuration Tool (Molex-ODVA)  IP-Address setting of IO-Link Masters (EIP)

Attached is a screen shot from the Molex software under the Explicate Messaging Tab 
Service 0x0E - Get Attribute Single
Class (Hex) 01
Instance 01
Attribute 04

The last 2 bites of the response are the revision number, major 0x01 and minor 0x05

You can also use Omron Networks Configurator, under Tools => Setup Parameters

Again is attached a screen shot showing the setup and response.

Fixing the EDS file still didn't correct the uploading or downloading of the parameters for the AL1322 in network configurator and you still need to adjust them to match how the unit is setup.

Parameter 0001 Assembly Input Size

Parameter 0002 Assembly Output Size

Parameter 0029 Port Process Data Size 

EIP.JPG

Netwrok Configurator.JPG

9 hours ago, Webbs said:

Fixing the EDS file still didn't correct the uploading or downloading of the parameters for the AL1322 in network configurator and you still need to adjust them to match how the unit is setup.

Getting the parameters correct in Network Configurator (or in the Sysmac connection setup if you skip NC) is absolutely necessary, because the "Forward Open" operation that establishes communication from the PLC includes the 98 bytes of setup.  If you ever have to replace your AL1322 with a new one, you won't have to do anything but set the IP address.  The "Forward Open" sets the rest of the configuration.