sodonnell

Position Sync Conveyors

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I wanted to Post a Question to get peoples advice/experience if possible.

A Few months ago we re-automated a meat factory, the factory uses overhead conveyors, which need to be in sync Positional wise, and also need to speed match.

Each conveyor has an incremental encoder 0 - 80 pulses, which is the distance between carcasses. Now to do the positional sync we basically Accelerate/Decelerate the slave conveyor based on where the pulses where when we seen an R-Pulse. So for example when the Master R-Pulse is true we snapshot the slaves, If the Pulses are outside the limits we set, we will speed up/Slow Down the slave conveyor for a couple of seconds, and wait for the next Master R-Pulse to decide if we need to do it again or not. (I Hope that is easy follow)

To be Fair, it has worked pretty well for the last 6 months or so, but now there having some issues getting the positions right. Which I will be going to site to get correct but before i do, I wanted to get some one else's opinion on whether or not how we do it is the correct way? 

I hold my hands up I don't have much experience with conveyors so any advice/Knowledge anyone can pass on its greatly appreciated

1 person likes this

I know this is six months after you posted, but let's see if i can understand this.

each slave conveyor goes from 0 to 80 , each carcass window is 80 pulses.

when the R pulse comes in each conveyor should be 3 pulses plus/minus of the master.

if it worked for a while and is now messing up, i would suspect something mechanical in a drive train(s).

chain stretch and belt slip/wear comes to mind.