Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skyfox

NB PT - How do you display simple messages to an Operator?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for a way to convey a simple "TEXT" message to an operator on a NB series terminal, based on a input value from the PLC.

Condition 0 - No message displayed.

Condition 1 - It is getting Warm.

Condition 2 - It is awfully HOT around here.

Condition 3 - Run out of the building, clear 100 yards first, and then, call 911. In that order.

Am I to understand this simple functionality is not available in this PT at a price of $900+ boasting a resolution of 800x480 with a 7" screen as I type the question using a $250 Costco laptop with a 15" screen with 1920x1080 resolution?

Any other trickery that I can use to accomplish this task with this PT?

Again, I did not pick this PT. I am trying to figure out how to work with what I got.

Cheers!

Edited by skyfox

it is simple really - your Costco laptop is cheap volume product meant to be disposable. it is not an industrial grade product meant to last and have support for 30 years while performing quietly in a harsh environment.

to get help in a forum, consider offering some detail such as exact product model and software you use to program it. and read the manual. it explains functionality and how to accomplish what you are after. perhaps lookup text library. it allows you enter texts to be displayed and in different language if needed.

https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/v1/v106_nb-designer_software_operation_manual_en.pdf

1 person likes this

I Actually did. NB Designer. Two page explanation of "TEXT LIBRARY" left me utterly confused. Hence I asked the question. Perhaps my understanding of Japanese English is not up to par yet. I will re-read it again. I attempted to better myself via seeking knowledge and wisdom of others whom had traveled this path before. My COSTCO laptop is used in a harsh environment. (around my vicinity) Was made in CHINA. Still using the original two double A batteries. From Harbor Freight.

Cheers!

Edited by skyfox

perhaps this helps:

https://www.myomron.com/index.php?action=kb&article=1572

no offense to the laptop, but industrial grade products are just built with different constraints in mind.

wide temperature range, interference immunity, operation 24/7/365 for many years, includes bunch of software (fieldbus drivers for wide range of PLCs), form factor, scratch, dent, dust etc resistance. it is not comparable to consumer grade products. and try getting exact same product, off the shelf 30 years later. this is why military and lumberjacks do not use Prius for work. yes someone may drive Prius into some harsh landscape but that is not recommended or planned environment for it. this is where rugged vehicle would be needed and they cost good deal more, special drive train, fancy communication gear etc. (not just standard AM/FM radio and MP3 player).

My COSTCO laptop has been in checked baggage over to 3 different continents. In a soft case. Does that count?

"  this is why military and lumberjacks do not use Prius for work. "

Are you sure about that? Then explain why all the PRIUS'es that are always on the fast lane drive so slow?

By the way, thanks for the link. That helped to digest what the Operation Manual failed to do. I still needed to navigate to a third manual in order to decipher what should have been on the Operations manual. However, this does not provide the basic functionality I am looking for. According to the example, they are using several screens to display different messages. This would be maddening if one had to create 10 different screens to display simple 10 different one line messages to an operator. What if a process had 20 messages that needed to be displayed? Create 20 screens? At least that is my understanding of how Text Library is used as in design time text is always displayed on the text display.  (I do get the language switching functionality) Ridiculous to create a  separate screen for each message if you asked me. This is common feature in almost every other HMI that I have used.

What I am looking for is a method to change text on a text display ON THE SAME SCREEN based on an input bit or an input word. I want the text to reside in the HMI. For example,

USING NB Designer, Latest version.

When....

PLC > HMI = 1  TEXT DISPLAY1 TEXT = "HELLO"

PLC > HMI = nn

PLC > HMI = 99  TEXT DISPLAY1 TEXT = "GOODBYE"

A dynamic text display if you will. No other methods to do this in a simple manner? Only way I see is using a text display to send messages from the PLC. Not a good option if the length of the messages are long. Example used in the link you provided is using the  "Draw Text" object that has the text library option but has no visibility control option available to it. Else I could have used stacked Draw Text objects on the same screen using visibility control to display only the needed message.

Cheers!

Capture.PNG

Edited by skyfox