taylorman57

Positioning PowerFlex 525

4 posts in this topic

I have a new PowerFlex 525 with the encoder card and a quadrature encoder. It is connected via ethernet/ip to a control logix plc.

The end goal is to either trigger step 1, which is to move about 500 "units" or to trigger step 2, which is to move 350 "units".

For testing purposes I set the frequencies different on the two steps (as an easy way to tell which step was running). From the PLC I am successfully triggering the step I want. I am also able to reset faults and jog. I can also see the encoder units incrementing at parameter 388 and rehome it.

My problem is that the drive does not stop when it gets to its destination, nor does it ever fire the "AtPos" bit. It will just run forever.

I have tried every combination of logic that I can using the step wizard. I have also tried leaving the "Start" and "Timing_Belt:O.Freq_PosSel01" or immediately turning them off.

No combination of settings seems to stop the drive, unless I manually trigger the "Stop" bit.

I would have loved to have just used a 527 drive, but no one in the US seems to have any at the moment so we went with the 525 and an encoder card.

step1-action.png

step1-logic.png

Can you place your .iuux file here?

Did you solve this problem?  I am having the same issue.

In my case the motor polarity and encoder card settings were not correct.  Ensure the encoder card is set to the specifications of the encoder being used.  Additionally ensure forward motion results in the encoder units counting up and that reverse motion causes units to count down.  The VFD will not complain about improper voltage or signal settings of the encoder card but if it is moving forward to x number of units and the encoder does not count up to that value it will not stop.  Additionally if the voltage or signal settings are not correct even though it may count up to that number it still may not stop, or even try to stop.