lqu@edgeautomation.ca

Panelview Panel + 7 900W Unable to connect

12 posts in this topic

Dear Professionals,

I set up a communication link to my PLC in the FactoryTalk View ME and then create a mer file. When it finishes, it shows up a pop that says an unsupported device detected. Please see the attached photos. Can you please give me a hand on this if you know the solutions of resolving it?

Thank you very much.

Lei 

CommunicationSetup.jpg

Unsupported Device.png

Did you copy the Design shortcut to the Runtime shortcut before creating the .mer?

Need to apply the shortcut to the PLC three spots up from the currently selected and then copy to runtime.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Yes, I did copy the Design to the Runtime.

I tried the three spots up approach and it does the same thing. At the end of the mer creation, it shows up a error message in the txt file attached.

When I download the mer to the HMI, it shows an error that is is in the photo below.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lei

5103_05_MasoniteValidationResults.txt

Invalid device.jpg

From the image you posted it does look like you have selected a controller network port as the path, rather than the controller. Have you tried testing the application or individual displays from the laptop to ensure the Design path works? It is possible the PanelView is not compatible with that controller.

Also, you need to point the transfer utility to the HMI, not the PLC. So if the HMI you're using is the one in the screenshot at 192.168.1.21, select that one as the destination terminal. If it still says it's an invalid device, go to the ME Runtime project settings (inside View Studio) and make sure you have selected the right HMI model and the right option to compile for standard/performance model HMI.

1 person likes this

Have you tried a communication setting like pictured.

Using the native FTLinx ethernet driver rather than the classic linx ones.

L320ERMS2-verified.PNG

L320ERMS2.PNG

@ all

Thank you so much for helping me on this issue. Eventually I found it was a basic problem I have neglected. My controller is V32, and the HMI is V10. So they don't match. upgrading the HMI to V11 solves this issue.

However, when I use ME Transfer Utility to download the mer to the HMI, it shows an error. Please see the attachments.

Any insights to this issue?

Thanks.

Lei

ME transfer error.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that controller version would be an issue, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. I've had a wide range of controller and HMI versions talking to each other, but it's totally plausible that there's a conflict with these.

Can you ping the HMI from the PC you're running the transfer utility from?

Honestly, I almost never use the transfer utility any more since it takes forever to download the mer file now. Earlier versions it wasn't an issue, but now it's just too long. I use a flash drive. Of course, you need to be able to shut down the runtime application to do that, and that's not always the easiest thing to do either.

There are some rare occasions when an old PV6 wont be able to interact with an L8 running V32 or V33. This is why I suggested double-checking product compatibility earlier. 

Since you upgraded your firmware (and if you haven't already) you might try deleting are re-configuring your Design and Runtime shortcut paths in the communications setup. Also, I always like to test at least one or two displays from the FT Studio to make sure that the path is valid before I create the .mer. 

If you've done all that, the next time you open the transfer tool, click on the Ethernet network icon and let the three boxes blink for at least ten or fifteen seconds. This will give Linx time to eliminate anything that it previously detected that it might not actually see at the moment. Many times I've clicked on the node too fast after opening the tool, only to find the node isn't actually where Linx can see it. This can be caused by anything from bad configurations to, an unplugged network cable, or (most embarrassingly) the power to the node being turned off.

My other standby, especially especially with communications issues, is to reboot the PC and create a new mer file. Of course, that's after testing a display or two and verifying the runtime shortcut is the same as the design shortcut.

I think it's because the MER is on an external drive.  Put the MER in the standard Runtime folder and try downloading again.