skyfox

NXIP2 Data to NB Series HMI. HOW?

11 posts in this topic

New to OMRON's ecosystem. I have been trying to figure out how to get data from NXIP2 to an NB HMI. It appears that NB HMI data is not tag based and therefore, I need to develop the program using CJ-series memory types available for NX1P2 in Sysmac Studio. Problem is, I have no idea what following memory area types are.

CIO, WR, HR, and DM.

I have not been able to find any useful information regarding definitions for these nor the syntax that is to be used. I speed read thru over 20 different  OMRON pdf's in the last 3 or so days that were related to Sysmac Studio, NX1P2, & NB Designer without much luck. From what I discovered, I have to enter these variables (depending on which type I end up using), in to Global Variables "AT" column.  Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to find information and usage syntax for these memory areas?

I am guessing these are 16 bit data words. That begs the question. How does one pass a floating point number from NX1P2 to an NB HMI? Does the HMI have the ability to convert integer values to the floating point number that they represent?

Thanks.

Edited by skyfox

On the older controllers they had a purpose and usage cases but for CJ series memory addressing on an NJ/NX PLC it doesn't matter which one you choose. D and H memory is retained, that's about it.

There is no special syntax for them, simply assign an AT value to a tag and use the tag in your PLC as you normally would. CIO memory doesn't require a letter in it.(CIO 5 is just %5)

As for data types and sizes you need to be cautious of the datatype used. There is no checking for overlapping data. If you had a REAL in the PLC AT %D0 it uses D0 and D1. You need to make sure the next variable you address in the D memory uses an address >= D2. When you choose FLOAT for a variable in NB designer it will grab 2 words starting at the address you specified.

I don't believe the HMI can scale an int to a real, but you can read REALs directly.

Capture.JPG

Edited by photovoltaic

Maple HMI's allow tags from Omron.

NB is a very basic device, the NS and NA HMIs both support direct access to variables.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:49 AM, pfort said:

Maple HMI's allow tags from Omron.

Thanks pfort.

Have you used therm? If yes, would you say they are reliable? How old is the oldest MAPLE HMI that you sent out to a customer that is still working? First page on google shows plenty of refurbished ones for sale. Scares me a bit. Can you tell me the series that can read OMRON's tags?

Cheers.

Edited by skyfox

On 11/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, photovoltaic said:

On the older controllers they had a purpose and usage cases but for CJ series memory addressing on an NJ/NX PLC it doesn't matter which one you choose. D and H memory is retained, that's about it.

There is no special syntax for them, simply assign an AT value to a tag and use the tag in your PLC as you normally would. CIO memory doesn't require a letter in it.(CIO 5 is just %5)

As for data types and sizes you need to be cautious of the datatype used. There is no checking for overlapping data. If you had a REAL in the PLC AT %D0 it uses D0 and D1. You need to make sure the next variable you address in the D memory uses an address >= D2. When you choose FLOAT for a variable in NB designer it will grab 2 words starting at the address you specified.

I don't believe the HMI can scale an int to a real, but you can read REALs directly.

Capture.JPG

Thanks photovoltaic,

You just explained things with just one image where as I couldn't find this information after going thru...

61878db50f89f_OMRONpdflist.png.8b6a1c11c

So, where does one entering OMRON's world for the first time, go to find out that...

"CIO5" is to be used as "%5" while leaving "CIO" completely out of it?

"DM" is to be used as %Dnn while leaving the "M" off.

"WR" is to be used as %Wnn while leaving the "R" off.

"HR" is to be used as %Hnn while leaving the "R" off.

And the description or definition of what these memory areas stand for?

Which OMRON pdf did I miss?

Thanks again. This helps me out a great deal in getting started.

Cheers!

I don't know if a PDF covers all of it, but I learned it from Omron training a few years back. If you are curious what the memory areas do on the older controllers you could look up the memory maps in one of the CJ or CP PLCs. It really doesn't matter on the NX1P2, the PLC just associates a tag with an address for communications support for address-based protocols. Similar to what a Control/Compact logix PLC does with the SLC address support feature.

Capture.JPG

EDIT: I should add, this is PRIMARILY used for address-based communication support. There is also internal linking of the addresses which can be very useful for bit extraction for example. If you had an INT variable in your PLC AT %W0 and you had a boolean array AT %W0 as well the boolean array will reflect the bits of the INT. This can be very useful when you need to do bit extraction as NJ/NX PLCs don't easily do this. Also useful for populating a structure when doing communications.

Edited by photovoltaic

On 07/11/2021 at 3:08 AM, skyfox said:

Thanks pfort.

Have you used therm? If yes, would you say they are reliable? How old is the oldest MAPLE HMI that you sent out to a customer that is still working? First page on google shows plenty of refurbished ones for sale. Scares me a bit. Can you tell me the series that can read OMRON's tags?

Cheers.

Hi,

I use them for maybe 12 years, and never heard of failure (except of physical dammage). But it is recent that they can work with Omron tags. Maybe 3 years.

We mostly use Advanced HMI series.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers!

Likewise, I've been looking at OMRON resources regarding the CPM2A use of data / memory / bit address types. allocations, usage. Been trying to understand how to convert auxiliary, holding, data memory, timer and counter to use in ProFace HMI and RedLion HMIs. I'm just not finding much info to support how to convert IR, SR and LR types. Is there some type of secret resource out there for converting these last three specifically used by CPM2A?

Bit Addresses (ie: 001000)

IR Addresses (ie: IR000)

SR (Special Area) Addresses (ie: SR220)

AR (Auxiliary Memory Relay) Addresses (ie: AR00)

HR (Hold Relay) Bit Addresses (ie: HR00)

LR (Data Link Relay) Addresses (ie: LR00)

TC (Timer & Counter) Addresses (ie: TC000)

DM (Data Memory) Addresses (ie: DM0000)

1 hour ago, eck said:

Likewise, I've been looking at OMRON resources regarding the CPM2A use of data / memory / bit address types. allocations, usage. Been trying to understand how to convert auxiliary, holding, data memory, timer and counter to use in ProFace HMI and RedLion HMIs. I'm just not finding much info to support how to convert IR, SR and LR types. Is there some type of secret resource out there for converting these last three specifically used by CPM2A?

Bit Addresses (ie: 001000)

IR Addresses (ie: IR000)

SR (Special Area) Addresses (ie: SR220)

AR (Auxiliary Memory Relay) Addresses (ie: AR00)

HR (Hold Relay) Bit Addresses (ie: HR00)

LR (Data Link Relay) Addresses (ie: LR00)

TC (Timer & Counter) Addresses (ie: TC000)

DM (Data Memory) Addresses (ie: DM0000)

Not sure what you mean by "convert". My understanding is those HMIs can access the registers directly and display the values. The address is irrelevant, it's just the location of the data.