Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kale

ASI Vs. Device Net Vs. Remote I/O

7 posts in this topic

Dear All, Well I have an application of several I/O's located away (50 meters) from the Main PLC unit, SLC 5/04, and I want a soultion which ease troubleshooting (i.e less cables) and also affordable, so which one is the best in my situation (Device net, ASI, SCanner for remote I/O), Please Help experts. Thanks Kale

What type of I/O and quantity of each, may help in determining the best solution. Ken

Dear Ken, Inputs are limit switches, NPN prox. Sw and Photo senesors and for outputs relay outputs such as soleniod valves, contactors and digital inputs for drives with total number of I/O's 100. Thanks kale

Due to the number of IO i would go for a Device Net Solution

I would opt for remote I/O because: You can install the same type of 1746 hardware as you have in the main 5/04 chassis. You only require a single "blue hose" connection between the two locations. The programming is simpler and easier to understand than devicenet.

I'd also use RIO, I've done many systems this way with similar I/O. Its definitely more simple to configure than devicenet, the components and "blue hose" are also less expensive.

I like the RIO solution, but I would like to suggest an alternative. If you crunch the numbers on buying the RIO adapter and scanner, an additional 5/04 is about the same price (16K model). So have two processors, one in each location, and use message intructions via DH+, to pass data back and forth. If you move all the required shared info to one or two files, you can minimize the amount of message traffic and should have fairly quick data transfers. Plus the remote processor can be used to handle all the logic for the remote I/O, much faster response this way. The only wiring needed between the two stations is "blue hose" Ken Edited by Ken Moore