Stefan009

Cannot add NX-SL3300 because missing devices

13 posts in this topic

Hi.

I have been up, down left and right in sysmac looking for the safety cpu's to add.
If i open a project that has these devices, "Safety CPU device" shows in their toolbox window, while my project that does not have

any safety added (trying to), does not have the "Safety CPU device" in toolbox.

Any idea how to get it to show up so i can add the SCPU?

scpu.thumb.png.815801dd3d27c3f5f5e5c5a4f

Edited by Stefan009

You didn't mention the standard controller type. Are you using an NX1P?

You cannot add a safety controller to the NX1P CPU Bus. You can however add a Terminal Coupler (NX-ECCxxx) to the EtherCAT network then add a safety controller to the coupler's bus.

25 minutes ago, IO_Rack said:

You didn't mention the standard controller type. Are you using an NX1P?

You cannot add a safety controller to the NX1P CPU Bus. You can however add a Terminal Coupler (NX-ECCxxx) to the EtherCAT network then add a safety controller to the coupler's bus.

HI, i am using a NX-102-9020.
After more clicking around at random stuff in both project, i managed to find the "secret way" to configure up the safety cpu, but ive already forgot the way to click there again :D

Double click CPU Rack then add your safety controller. To configure the safety controller, click the drop down box in the upper left of the screen.

Mr_PLC_AddSafety.JPG.b82830d6240227efc8a

There is zero reason that the NX-SL CPUs would not show up in the toolbox for an NX102 right side bus.  I am not aware of any 'secret way' to do anything like that...

Double check you are picking the right firmware version for your NX102. 

The very first instance of NX102 did not allow the safety CPUs on the right side bus, that was added at firmware 1.30 (SL3300/SL3500) and 1.31 (SL5500/5700).

15 hours ago, Crossbow said:

There is zero reason that the NX-SL CPUs would not show up in the toolbox for an NX102 right side bus.  I am not aware of any 'secret way' to do anything like that...

Double check you are picking the right firmware version for your NX102. 

The very first instance of NX102 did not allow the safety CPUs on the right side bus, that was added at firmware 1.30 (SL3300/SL3500) and 1.31 (SL5500/5700).

I would assumed that i could added the safety plc from this right click menu and add device, but no safety there other than one  NX-CSG320.

plcadd.png.c834a2caaebd0123c94c9370d7d79

The "secret" (perhaps correct way?) is that i eventually got around to add an NX-ECC203 into the EtherCAT section of the project and there i could click "Edit slave terminal configuration" and THERE i could add the safety CPU and its devices attached to it.

ether.thumb.png.49cdd6fa6b937c19f73ea6c7

And here is the safety i could add.

safetycpu.thumb.png.18565d3f4f0ca9ed94e2

Safety controller is a subset of the main controller.  This is why it gets added on the bus, not as a separate device in the project.  Pretty clear in the manuals on the product.  It's no secret as you said...

I would like to elaborate on Crossbow's comments and clarify your configuration.

Your pics show CPU > EtherCAT > Bus Controller (ECCxxx) > SPLC. You can do this and it works well. 

My pic above shows CPU > CPU Rack (Built in Bus Controller) > SPLC. This works as well with the NX-102. 

There is a slight difference in where you add the SPLC in your project. Your choice will depend on where you want to physically locate the SPLC.

2 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

I would like to elaborate on Crossbow's comments and clarify your configuration.

Your pics show CPU > EtherCAT > Bus Controller (ECCxxx) > SPLC. You can do this and it works well. 

My pic above shows CPU > CPU Rack (Built in Bus Controller) > SPLC. This works as well with the NX-102. 

There is a slight difference in where you add the SPLC in your project. Your choice will depend on where you want to physically locate the SPLC.

In both cases, it is added the same way, by placing it into the rack configuration, either EtherCAT or Local Bus.

There is no situation where the safety CPU is added by the Insert Device menu or right clicking on the picture of the CPU.

The NX-CSG320 mentioned is a device that allows for CIP Safety communications, basically it's an NX102 without programming.  That device does get added as a new device in the project.

If you compare it to Siemens TIA-Portal, if i add another PLC, or a SafetyPLC, i just add a new device and be done with it.

In sysmac it seems that you have to run thru hoops to achieve the same result, instead of adding the safety plc at the add device, i have to click around to add it in a non-intuitive way.

I don't feel it is non-intuitive.  It is a subset of the main controller, it doesn't work without the main controller bus or EtherCAT being set up properly.  You cannot program it until it is on the bus or the network.  Makes perfect sense to me where it is located.

On 05/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, Crossbow said:

I don't feel it is non-intuitive.  It is a subset of the main controller, it doesn't work without the main controller bus or EtherCAT being set up properly.  You cannot program it until it is on the bus or the network.  Makes perfect sense to me where it is located.

Its extremely non-intuitive if you come from a software that simply does it better, such as TIA-Portal.

If i need to add another PLC of any kind, i just add it, i dont have to sit and click around every single page in sysmac and accidentally find it to add it, that is not intuitive at all.
Intuitive is that i go to the same place as the other plc, to add another, not hike deep into different windows and tabs to find it.

I disagree that it's non-intuitive, but then I also know how to look at a manual or watch a YouTube video to do some simple research before I try something new.

As I said before, safety CPU does not have its own bus.  It is part of the NX local bus or the EtherCAT network.  It requires the NX102 to be properly configured before the device can be added to the network.  It is not a standalone device like an NX102 or an NA HMI or a vision system, so it is not in the Insert menu.  You have to identify to the NX102 where it is going to be mounted before you will see it in the project.

1 person likes this