IanM8040

Ethernet/ip Driver stopped working after node was removed

10 posts in this topic

At some point I attempted to find a device using ethernet/ip, nothing was working at the time. Of course I should have just used the ethernet driver and typed the IP in by itself, but I decided to try to right click and 'remove' the driver from the list, thinking maybe there was a quirk to restarting it like some AB things have.

After right clicking and choosing 'Remove', it says "Are you sure you want to remove this node?". clicked yes, and then re-added the driver, and now not a single thing will show up on the network.

Yes, I'm connected properly. I can ping all devices that I know are on the network, using the ethernet driver will show those devices no problem. but ethernet/ip driver seems to just not find anything anymore at all and I believe it's due to my mess-up with removing the node in a different way, now I'm not sure of the settings needed to get it communicating properly again.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Tim, I'll give it a try.

So a little more information would help also. 

I'm using a VM through Vmware, the connection is NAT. If I use bridged, then it works fine. but switching back to NAT where I had it previously it doesn't work automatically. in either bridged or NAT the ethernet driver maintains connections no problem, so definitely seems like some sort of internal issue with linx. 

NATs can be tricky depending on the number network adapters and how they are configured.  Hit the basics.  Open the command prompt and ping the IP address.  If the ping is good, look at harmony files.  If the ping is bad, then look at the NAT.  I always use a bridged adapter because of problems that I have had.

Thanks, yeah the basics are good. Ping is good, can communicate just fine, this one driver just does not like this adapter setting. 

Just tried the harmony files delete and it didn't seem to change anything. although it was still set to trying to browse a remote subnet to test.

So, still odd... ping is good, harmony files delete didn't work. I think rockwell just has a thing for me.

More likely the NAT is filtering the broadcast packets that Ethernet/IP uses for discovery.  I use Virtualbox so I'm not as familiar with VMWare but it seems like there were some setting about this.

20 minutes ago, TimWilborne said:

More likely the NAT is filtering the broadcast packets that Ethernet/IP uses for discovery.  I use Virtualbox so I'm not as familiar with VMWare but it seems like there were some setting about this.

It's the likely guess. not sure if there is even a way around this... I may just end up using bridged and working around the difference in connection if ethernet/ip driver is needed to discover devices.

I could always just use that handy SIM IPE tool to discover them when no IP is listed too!!

Not sure this helps.  I use VMWare and I setup my NIC as the bridged connection and VMnet8 as a NAT for my wireless.  I use the NIC (bridged) when local to the PLC.  I use wireless (VMnet8 NAT) for remote access work.

Another trick is sometimes I have to disable one or the other to get a connection.

On the ethernet/ip driver there is an option to browse remote network. When connected via NAT you will need set the network address you want to browse.

1 person likes this