New_Sparky

5069-IB8S Wiring question

6 posts in this topic

I am currently designing a global e-stop panel to tie in multiple control panels. The card i'm given to work with is a 5069-IB8S. After searching through the AB knowledgebase, I am still not sure if I can wire it the way I would like.

Does anyone know if I can share one Test Output terminal with 2 separate e-stops which then separates to 2 Safety Inputs? (the pic actually shows 4 estops)

A note I read in my searches seems to imply that each terminal (each Test Output has 2) must go to a single Safety input. Unfortunately, since this is a retrofit, the common point for 2 e-stops join in a remote junction box.

Appreciate any help.

5069 TEST.jpg

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Can you post a drawing of the existing circuit?

You can wire EStops in series. In the example drawing above, you cannot use Test Pulse 0 to drive Safety Input 0 and Safety Input 1.

never used that specific product but things are quite standardized and likely will apply here.

wiring will of course depend on product and required performance rating. 

for Cat3 you can supply both contacts in a contact pair with 24VDC.

for Cat4 using 24VDC is not sufficient, you need to to use test outputs.

there are always pairs of test outputs. they provide "mostly 24VDC" but contain diagnostic pulses that are out of phase. this allows checking if contact pairs are wired incorrectly or if there is a fault. 

it is normal to wire it as you have shown:

test output 0 would be supplying first channel. that is first of the contact pairs on each input (button1 and button2)

test output 1 would be supplying second channel. that is second of the contact pairs on each input (button1 and button2)

some units may have multiple terminals for same test output ("test output 0" / "test output 1") but this is just to make wiring simpler. it that does not mean that one has to use them all.

even if multiple terminals are driven by separate outputs (but are still labeled same way such as "test output 0"), wave form is the same on them so input channel would be unable do tell the difference. if the terminals are labeled differently then one can assume that waveforms are different too (out of phase).

In the original pic, estops 1 and 2 are existing from panel 1. Estops 3 and 4 are existing from panel 2.

My thoughts were similar to PANIC MODE in that the 2 terminals supplied for each Test Output are effectively the same. The section I read about it gave me some doubt, though it didn't make sense to have different terminal functions but same tag.

I'll see if I can find the article again.

Make sure when configuring that device that you identify which test output you used for each input.  (And a panic mode noted, you can use each test output with multiple buttons, just not the same test output on both contacts of a button.)

unlike normal 24VDC supply, test outputs produce waveform that contains brief diagnostic pulses (they are "off" state in the output signal).

each test output has different phase (diagnostic pulses occur at different times). if input is fed from wrong output or there is a fault in wiring, input would see no diagnostic pulses or see them at wrong times and that is what would trigger fault.

Diagnostic output wave forms.png

1 person likes this