Brewder

Hardwired PLC to Wireless via bridge?

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm a long time IT Infrastructure/Server/Network/Wifi guy with ZERO industrial PLC experience.  :)  Please forgive me if this is a silly question.

I'm working with one of our mechanical engineers and he's asking about "converting" a Siemens S7 (CPU 1511F-1) PLC from hardwired, to wireless.  He wants to use the functionality of the PLC, but have it physically sit on a mobile cart that can easily be moved anywhere we have wifi coverage without having to rely on a hardwired ethernet connection.  My idea was to connect it via ethernet to an Acksys AirLink bridge that in turn is connected to our wireless infrastructure.  The problem/complexity then seems to be the TIA Portal V16 software and how to properly configure the IP of the PLC and the software that talks to it.  The PLC would need a private IP for the Airlink ethernet connection and a different IP when access via the corporate wifi network.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

//Brew

KUKA KMP/KMR use wireless Siemens Scalance and not just for Siemens PLC. it can be configured with different options. There is a lot of options and even more settings...

Pretty sure the device will only have one IP address.  I have used a wireless access point to a PLC in the past without issues.

What is the purpose of having a PLC CPU on a mobile rack?

Will the envisioned mobile PLC also have I/O attached to it via a hardware rack on the mobile cart?

Will the envisioned mobile PLC be connected to any remote I/O via the bridged network (I/O mounted in a stationary remote location?

Is the plant network secure - is it isolated from any connection to the outside internet?

What is the intended wireless connection to this envisioned mobile PLC - a machine, a PC, etc.?