LearningForever

Binary outputs RSlogix 5000

8 posts in this topic

I am working on something different. I have a Signal Speaker that uses binary inputs to play a certain song based on source configuration. I have to send 24v to the inputs of the speaker. I have 5 of them with 30 different configurations. I am currently trying to do this in ladder logic, RSLogix 5000. Steps done.

1. Assigned the 6 outputs tag names. This is so that I can shift the program to other machines if I have to and I just need to change the slot location, or if I have an output go bad I can move it with ease. This works.

2. I  created the 30 lines of  5 columns to match the binary method. This works.

a. I can manually toggle the output to cycle thru the binary table.

3. Currently working on the logic that when a particular alarm is activated... I turn on the outputs needed to match the binary table. The problem is destructive bit reference on the coils. 

I was researching some but don't know what direction to go. How can I call the same output on different rungs? I have attached the .L5X to show what I have programmed.

4. I know the first rungs are wrong. That is what I am trying to fix.

5. Would there be a better way to address this, if so how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Speaker_Alarm.L5X

Speaker_Alarm.L5X

Unfortunately I can't look at your logic from this computer.

Why can't you use OR logic to turn on the output

--! ! --------------( )

!

--! !-----

!

--! !-----

You can also use bits of an integer to trigger the output and then Move an Int into the register based on the DI.

1 person likes this

Michael that is exactly what I am wanting to do. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that, first time. Could you show an example of assigning the output channels?

I have added a pdf of the program to show my setup.

Speaker msgs.pdf

I'm at work so I have access to the AB software. I can't open the L5X files. It says The specified L5X file does not contain a controller export.

Likely because I don't fully understand what you are trying to do, I don't see a problem with your logic. You are trying to " call the same output on different rungs"

Flip that around to call the same output with different logic

Kudo's for getting this far without PLC experience.

I've attached a completely unrelated type of program with various kinds of branches, one shots (ONS) (positive edge trigger that passes the on state once and won't pass it again until the input turns off then on again), etc

Take a look at any of the MOV routines (motor operated valve). Some of the triggers come from Pxxx routines (pumps). There are numerous branched rungs

I like to map IO to tags to user defined data types (under Data Types folder) so I can easily reassign the IO...

None of this is THE way to do it. It's how I do it. 

Asherton_05_26_16.ACD

1 person likes this

Looking at your pdf, reverse the way you're controlling your bits:
SpeakerSelect.PNG.802b59142695b494ab5330
Each output coil should only be referenced once. Gather all conditions that will turn that coil on together, in parallel, on a single rung.

Another thing you could do is assign a number to each message. So, for example, message 3 would require that bits 0 and 1 are both on. You can have the alarm conditions write a number to a tag and then map the individual bits of that tag to individual outputs:
SpeakerSelect2.PNG.0e25542796b4333e09d2a

If the speaker turns off when its input 0 is turned on, then you can only configure 31 messages instead of 64 (you can get 32 messages if having all channels turned off can trigger a message).

You could use AlarmMSG=0 to turn on Output_0 and then offset the remaining bits:
SpeakerSelect3.PNG.130f0ad08f5c982a43832

2 people like this

Let's see if I can whip out a possibility:

Song Selected is a DINT or INT

XIC ConditionsSong1Met  MOV 1 SongSelected

XIC ConditionsSong2Met  MOV 2 SongSelected

XIC ConditionsSong3Met  MOV 3 SongSelected

XIC ConditionsSong30Met  MOV 30 SongSelected

XIC SongSelected.0 OTE OutputWiredToSpeakerBit1

XIC SongSelected.1 OTE OutputWiredToSpeakerBit2

XIC SongSelected.2 OTE OutputWiredToSpeakerBit3

XIC SongSelected.3 OTE OutputWiredToSpeakerBit4

XIC SongSelected.4 OTE OutputWiredToSpeakerBit5

Now if an output dies you just change it in one rung.

Also no fancy instructions just XIC for old joe relay.