Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Anthony

Student Requests help

15 posts in this topic

Anybody know where SAIT is? There are plenty of us who could help, but you haven't given us a thing to go on. Describe in detail what you want to do and what in detail you have done so far. Exact part numbers would help.

SAIT is Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. I would be glad to help in any way possible if the details are known. Tig

Give your local Omron office a call. The telephone number is (780) 440-0818.

Hey guys. I didn't want to bug the Omron guy too much. Our local Omron supplier guy is available to help us out but he is not very familiar with the CX-Programmer. From what i have been reading i need Finsgateway to get CX-Position to communicate with our NC card but i'm not sure because there is nothing i can find to teach me how to configure it. We are trying to get our servos to AT LEAST move but we are having communication problems. I called the Omron guy and he said we need CX-Server too? I downloaded and uploded onto our PLC without using server so i didn't read up on it much either but now i guess i will have to. I can't even find any manuals on the CX-Server. The one i found is a version 1.7 and ours is a 2.1 i believe. It would be great if you guys could help us out. Deadline is within a month and we haven't gotten these things to move.

CX-Server comes with CX-Programmer and is installed during a normal installation. So are the PLC tools. FINS Gateway may or not be included with CX-Programmer. The latest version in Ozz does not have it. When installing CX-Programmer, if FINS Gateway is included, the install program will ask you if you require it or not. It is normally only used to communicate with a Controller Link card, or Sysmac Link card or serial/Ethernet for a SCADA system.

Hey, we actually have everything we need to program and control the servos but we are just having trouble starting it up. Sorry i'm asking for so much help its just that we were only taught the basics of programming PLC's and we've never touched any servos or HMI's so this is our first time and we have to do it ourselves by reading manuals.

Are you communicating with the PLC at all? What are you using to connect (i.e. Ethernet, RS232, etc.) Also, what operating system are you using? If you're using Win XP, without being an administrator on your computer, you will be unable to use the FINS gateway (at least I wasn't able to). I ended up going to an old Win 98se computer to program everything. From there, everything is actually pretty straightforward. If you call 1-800-55-omron and talk to Mano, he should be able to get you dialed in within an hour or so. I'm out. Tig

CX Position V1.0 uses FINS Gateway. CX Position V2.0 uses CX Server. Which version are you using?

I am using RS232 and we are using WinXp and i have full administration on our computers(we just found out couple days ago we needed it). I can communicate with the PLC directly from my PC liek going online and transferring from PC to PLC vice versa. But we cannot get the position to download to the PC card. We are using CX-Position V2.0 i believe which means we don't need the FINS Gateway? Also we cannot get our position sequence to verify there is always an error with no error code so I can't figure otu whats wrong with it.

So can i just call 1-800-55-omron and ask for Mano?

You might have to stand in line.

The best way to get a hold of Mano (he's the second stage of tech support at the corp. office) is to ask the first stage people as difficult question as you can. Often times this will get you directly to him. But, Jay's right. It'll probably take a couple of tries to get him as he is very busy. Back to the issue though... So you have good communication from NS to PLC. How are you trying to initiate the servos? As much detail as you can provide (including posting your ladder logic) would really help us to get this resolved. Tig

K i got a hold of a local omron guy and he says that i don't need to touch cx-server as it runs in the background nor do i need to touch FINS Gateway yet. What i need to do is get the servos moving by setting some parameters and find the correct addressing to use in the D memory. I have no ladder logic yet because i first of all need to get some movement or communication to the servos via cx-position and cx-programmer. Maybe one of you guys has an example program i could use? I also need to figure out the addressing for cx-programmer.

^^sorry that was me i didn't know i wasn't logged in

Hi, You haven't given us enough information to provide further assistance... (we may make the wrong assumptions about your configuration) What type/model/brand of servos are you using? We assumed these are not connected to the PLC's built in Pulse outputs - you are using an NC card? What are the switch settings on the front of the unit?, what axis are your servos connected to? Are you using standard omron cables and servo relay units? Do you have the Manuals for: The CJ1 PLC? The NC postion control unit? The Servo Driver/Motor? You mention CX-Programmer, you will need this to program the PLC. The CJ1M has built in I/O which provides pulse train outputs for two servos (pulse train I/O) Positioning functions in the CJ1M built in I/O are controlled via the ladder program (use CX-Programmer). CX-Position is used for CS/CJ/C200 NC type position control units, it is not used for the CJ1M's built in I/O. CX-Position is not the only way to use an Omron NC card (although it is an easy way), all functions can be programmed directly using ladder code (CX-Programmer) for these Units (CX-Position can make things easier). If your servo's are Omron, do you have the UMON or WMON servo driver setup software? More information is required to provide any useful assistance! Nibroc Edited by Nibroc