badroot

melsec a2 Backup Legacy PLC

2 posts in this topic

I am looking into how to connect/backup the existing programming on some legacy PLC's.

I have been trying to find the information on this site, which is awesome!  But I feel I am getting lost in all the different software/PLC's types. 

As I understand it, we have a Melsec-A or A2AScpu.  Now there is what appears to be a pin cable when you open the swivel door on the PLC that would allow you to connect it to a PC.

Where I am getting lost is "do I need a specific cable for this, I know some pin cables will have the wiring line up differently per the pins"  and or "what software would work best to allow me to take a current backup of the existing programming on the PLC."

Please understand I am new to PLC's.  But I am willing to learn, right now I am thinking about using some older PLC's we have that are not in use to start with so I can learn but I just feel a little overwhelmed with all the differences in both PLC versions and the software you can use.  I also think if I can lock in the backup/restore process i will always be in a position to revert back should (more than likely) I make any mistakes.

Any help with pointing me a good place to start for the specific PLC I am referring to would be really appreciated.

PLC.jpg

Edited by badroot
Forgot to attach pic