StevieU

Alternative Servo Drives

8 posts in this topic

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat with supply issues and elongating lead times with the Logix 5500 and 5700 servo drives. Are there any decent alternatives that are easily integrated into a 5380 controlled system, maybe with an AOI?

I've looked at Beckoff and Parker systems, but Parker only seem to line CoDeSys as far as I can tell. Do any of you clever clogs have any suggestions for a well stocked alternative?

As a side note, I'm not new to PLC programming, but I am only 6 months in to using motion and servo systems so be kind :)

You might run into the same supply chain issues, but in some applications a Powerflex 750 series vfd with encoder feedback operating closed loop can be as good as a servo.

1 hour ago, BobLfoot said:

You might run into the same supply chain issues, but in some applications a Powerflex 750 series vfd with encoder feedback operating closed loop can be as good as a servo.

We have an OEM building a new line for us using Beckhoff controls (PLC, servos, etc.) and they're having some supply chain issues with some of the Beckhoff drives/motors. They suggested replacing the problematic drive/motor with Festo, but we pushed back, preferring to stick with a single vendor for support in the future. I have some experience with "mixed" systems (AB PLC with Anorad/Kollmorgan drive, Siemens PLC with Festo drive) and the best/easiest systems to support are the ones that are single-vendor. They tend to work well together and there isn't an opportunity for the vendors to point fingers at each other when there's an issue.

The supply issues I've seen aren't vendor-specific but are component-specific. Within one vendor's offerings, we've found some components are fine while others have longer lead times. You might be able to choose a different size drive or a drive with slightly different features that would also work to get a shorter lead time.

Kollmorgen has an Ethernet I/P version of their drives that is fairly easy to connect to and their support is good.  Unfortunately you will probably have the same supply problems with their equipment as you are having right now. 

On 14/09/2021 at 6:15 PM, BobLfoot said:

Unfortunately, we can't use VSDs for the system, they are all servo drives as we work with less than 0.5mm tolerances on movement.

15 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

Kollmorgen has an Ethernet I/P version of their drives that is fairly easy to connect to and their support is good.  Unfortunately you will probably have the same supply problems with their equipment as you are having right now. 

Thank you, funnily enough I've had a Teams chat with Kollmorgen as they also have the AOI for Rockwell. 

On 14/09/2021 at 7:19 PM, Joe E. said:

We have an OEM building a new line for us using Beckhoff controls (PLC, servos, etc.) and they're having some supply chain issues with some of the Beckhoff drives/motors. They suggested replacing the problematic drive/motor with Festo, but we pushed back, preferring to stick with a single vendor for support in the future. I have some experience with "mixed" systems (AB PLC with Anorad/Kollmorgan drive, Siemens PLC with Festo drive) and the best/easiest systems to support are the ones that are single-vendor. They tend to work well together and there isn't an opportunity for the vendors to point fingers at each other when there's an issue.

The supply issues I've seen aren't vendor-specific but are component-specific. Within one vendor's offerings, we've found some components are fine while others have longer lead times. You might be able to choose a different size drive or a drive with slightly different features that would also work to get a shorter lead time.

The only similar drives to the ones we need are hugely over spec and about twice the price from Routeco and are still weeks away from delivery. We've got tens of thousands of ponds of machinery sat there waiting for mostly electrical parts at the moment. One drive was promised at the beginning of September after being ordered 3 months ago, and it's just been pushed back to the end of October at least now. 

5 hours ago, StevieU said:

Unfortunately, we can't use VSDs for the system, they are all servo drives as we work with less than 0.5mm tolerances on movement.

The 750 Series while being a VSD does support Single and Dual Encoders for a Postion Mode feature.  Not sure if the encoder resolution could reach 0.5 mm but that would depend on the drive train mechanics and encoder resolution.  Might be worth checking into with your distributor tech rep.