Mr.Sovereign

Limit RDP access to PanelView HMI to read only

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

On our DCS we have a button that will open an RDP connection to our PLC server and open the .mer file connecting the DCS to the PanelView HMI. This is supposed to be used for troubleshooting purposes only, but that is not the case.

Is there a way to prevent operators from operating the HMI through the RDP while still allowing them to have read only access?

Thanks,

Michael

I'm not aware of such a feature, doesn't mean it might not exist, just never encountered it. 

You might consider vnc which does support read only to a panelview.  This I have done in the past.

Hmm,

I am looking more into how this works and the button in the DCS executes script to log into the PLC server the username/password are set automatically. Once this account logs in on the PLC server Windows Task Scheduler executes a .bat file which opens the .mer file. So, all the DCS does is log the user in, the PLC server does the rest.

Once the HMI is open, the operator has to be able to log into the PLC in order to navigate the pages, but I don't want them being able to control from those pages. The equipment should only be controlled in the field. 

I'm not sure if this is possible, with them having to login at the HMI interface. Would I run into the same issue using VNC? The alternative is to remove the access all together.  

Thanks

Rather than have them login to a server and launch the MER you might want to look at deploying viewpoint to the local HMI at the machine.

Viewpoint gives a web based access page for viewing what the HMI can view, but can be limited to read only IIRC.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/products/software/factorytalk/operationsuite/view/factorytalk-viewpoint.html

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/ftalk-pp017_-en-p.pdf