10 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am writing one logic and need some help regarding that logic.

CURRENT LOGIC - 

-There are two timers TON_1 and TON_2.

-TON_1 timer will start as soon as PLC turns on.

-After the done bit of TON_1 timer, the TON_2 timer goes on.

-After the done bit of TON_2 timer, again the TON_1 timer will start.

-This logic cycle will run continuously, both timers will run turn by turn.

Code (Codesys/Schneider Eco Structure Machine Expert)-

PROGRAM POU_1

VAR 
    TON_1: TON;
    TON_2: TON;
END_VAR

TON_1(IN:=(NOT(TON_2.Q)) , PT:= T#100S);
TON_2(IN:=(TON_1.Q) AND (NOT(TON_2.Q)) , PT:= T#20S);

Actual Requirement - 

-There is a BOOL tag.

-If the BOOL tag gets high during the TON_1 running, the logic should move to the TON_2 immediately.

-If the BOOL tag does not get high during the TON_1 running, the logic should move to the TON_2 after completion of TON_1.

-after the completion of TON_2, again restart TON_1.

-Logic Runs continuously in a cyclic mode.

Give me your valuable idea to fulfill the logic requirement.

What happens if BOOL tag remains high? Does TON_2 keep cycling?

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, chelton said:

What happens if BOOL tag remains high? Does TON_2 keep cycling?

@chelton The BOOL tag will go high only when TON_1 running, and I will reset that BOOL tag as soon as TON_2 Starts. SO the cycle can run continuously.

Edited by SillyBoy
1 person likes this

Do not modify the existing time logic of TON_1 and TON_2. Instead, when BOOL_tag state goes to "1" then move the final value of TON_1 into the active timing register of TON_1. This would be "0" if TON_1 counts from preset value to zero; this might be "100" if TON_1 counts from zero to preset value. You need to verify the operation and final value of TON_1 in order to realize what is the final value of TON_1.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, pop29684 said:

Do not modify the existing time logic of TON_1 and TON_2. Instead, when BOOL_tag state goes to "1" then move the final value of TON_1 into the active timing register of TON_1. This would be "0" if TON_1 counts from preset value to zero; this might be "100" if TON_1 counts from zero to preset value. You need to verify the operation and final value of TON_1 in order to realize what is the final value of TON_1.

It's an IEC software, so the TON instruction always counts up.  And I am not sure you are allowed to write to the current value.

You do not need the AND on the second timer, because the moment TON_2 finishes, TON_1 becomes false and that would reset both timers.  Putting it on TON_2 is redundant.

As for your extra input, add it as input condition on the second timer.  Will it stay on?  If not, you need to write a latch to keep it on while the second timer runs and reset it when the second timer ends.  The timer needs a true signal for the whole time it is timing.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, Crossbow said:

You do not need the AND on the second timer, because the moment TON_2 finishes, TON_1 becomes false and that would reset both timers.  Putting it on TON_2 is redundant.

I think I may have been misunderstood. I was not ANDing the two timers. Allow me to rephrase: Do not modify the existing time logic of either timer (TON_1, TON_2).

On 9/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, Crossbow said:

It's an IEC software, so the TON instruction always counts up.  And I am not sure you are allowed to write to the current value.

You may be correct. I was thinking of the Siemens platform where the TON instance DB is accessible.

5 hours ago, pop29684 said:

I think I may have been misunderstood. I was not ANDing the two timers. Allow me to rephrase: Do not modify the existing time logic of either timer (TON_1, TON_2).

You may be correct. I was thinking of the Siemens platform where the TON instance DB is accessible.

You clearly AND the outputs of timer 1 and timer 2 as the trigger for timer 2.  This is irrelevant because as soon as timer2 completes, timer 1 will reset itself because its trigger becomes false.

Not sure what you mean about accessing the TON instance DB.  This is a PLCOpen standard function block, and it should work the same on every controller that follows the PLCOpen rules.

2 people like this

Already sorted this out, mark this thread closed.

I have used an Integer Tag to fulfill the required logic.

If anyone needs the same logic, revert back to me I will send it.

if one wants to use two timers based on original idea, this should do the job:

PROGRAM POU_1

VAR 
    TON_1: TON;
    TON_2: TON;
END_VAR

TON_1(IN := NOT TON_2.Q , PT := T#100S);
TON_2(IN := TON_1.Q ,     PT := T#20S);

1 person likes this