Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobby.echols

Firmware Update

8 posts in this topic

I am looking help with an issue I have trying to connect to a 5370 Controller 1769-L33ER. The controller firmware is 20.014 and my studio does not have 20.014 firmware. I have downloaded the firmware and do not know how to get it extracted to my PC. Any help with this will be grateful.  Regards

what version did you download? firmware is transferred to PLC using flasher utility. make sure that during flashing power and connection are not lost (avoid area where people are likely to walk though and trip over your cables).

I downloaded version 20.014. I do not want to flash the PLC as I need to get the program from it first. I need to get my Studio 5000 to read version 20.014

then you got wrong download. firmware is type of software that goes into hardware products (in this case PLC).

since you want to access PLC which already has that version, that firmware is of no use to you.

You need to get RSLogix5000 V20

1 person likes this

I had this issue with another controller at our project and was able to download version 24.014 and know I am able to connect to the controller on another PLC we have. I just cannot remember how I did it last time. I know once I downloaded it I had to extract the file and click the excite file and now I have that version in Studio 5000. I am just confused now. Thanks for your help with this issue. 

OK, I think I got what I needed. The main issue is that my Studio version did not have 20.014 and that is what I needed to download. I went to this address https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/Home.aspx and clicked on the download by serial number, after entering the information I was able to select the version 20.050 to download. Sorry for the confusion I might have caused. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,  

RSLogix does not communicate with PLCs directly. There is a proxy server called RSLinx. You need to configure RSLinx so it can connect to PLC, then RSLogix can connect to RSLinx.

Also, for future reference, v20 is one of a couple (I think 19 or 21 is the other) that had some issues with minor revisions of the software. Normally, with all other major revisions, as long as the major rev matches between the software and PLC, you're ok and can go online with no issues. Version 20 is one of the exceptions where the minor revision has to match as well. It's been a while, but as I recall, there was a major security vulnerability with the earlier minor rev of v20 that they fixed with a newer minor rev. Upgrading to the newer minor rev required flashing and downloading to the PLC, which is a pain. They then released another minor rev of v20 that could connect to either of the previous minor revs even though they couldn't connect to each other. I may have some of the details wrong (it's been a while), but I clearly remember how much of a pain in the neck it was when we had several PLCs at different incompatible minor revs of v20.

With RSLogix 5000, which became Studio 5000, you can have any number of major revs installed, but only one minor rev of each major.