S.Sh_I&C

Simultaneous connections of Modbus TCP and Industrial Ethernet using Profinet ports

3 posts in this topic

Dear Experts,

Hi;

I have S7 project with 414-5H PLC. I implemented to communicate with DCS through Modbus TCP using integrated PN interface of CPU.
Also, I using from the same integrated PN interface of CPU for communication between PLC with operator/engineering workstation.
Hence the communication port same for the operator station and DCS.
Actually, I have to communicated PLC with operator station and DCS  using same port of CPU,  but with two different protocols, one of the  Ethernet protocol and the other with Modbus TCP.

Is this possible?
What problem can come across these?

I cannot find an entry in the Siemens forum concerning simultaneous connections of Modbus TCP and Fault-tolerant connections using the integrated Profinet ports of the H-CPUs.

Thanks.

System Configuration.png

Edited by S.Sh_I&C

Hi, I don't see any drawback mixing 2 ethernet protocols (modbus TCP & profinet) on the same ethernet port (PN) of the PLC.
As long as both protocol use TCP stacks, the PLC deals with the rest to avoid conflicts in the send/receive packets

One issue that might occur though is the impact on speed. Check the delay of communication responses, and make sure this speed is fast enough for both sides of your application (DCS & operator workstation). Otherwise you would need to separate the PN ports to increase speed

I recommend you spend the money and purchase two CP-443-1 modules. I see you are using CP1613 cards in your server, which implies you are using Siemens ISO for communications, not sure how well this plays with other *TCP protocols.  I know Siemens does not support Modbus and ISO mixtures.