Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbalt14

New to Siemens Simotion

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm from an Allen-Bradley background but we have some new machines from Europe that came in with Siemens Simatic Manager and Simotion which we use Scout version 5.1 to communicate. The machine is very intense with about 16 servo axis so I am cautious when making changes. Currently I'm trying to make a should be simple change in the AB world but I'm struggling in this software. I'm working in one of the GF programs using ladder logic. When I add a variable to the declaration table for that FC routine, three other FC's in that program show the red/green inconsistency clutch after compiling. I thought the declaration tables for the FC's are only local to those FC's, is that not the case? When I try to download just that GF program it requires me to download in stop mode which in the long rung messes up the logic somehow as if some parameters are missing. Keep in mind all I have done is just added 4 variables and no logic yet. What am I doing wrong or missing here? Is there no way to do online edits to add tags (variables) and simple logic on these Simotion controls? Thanks in advance

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

I want to add that I tell it not to copy RAM to ROM after downloading because I want a way out of a jam if something happens during the download. That allows me to cycle power to restore the previous logic. 

I'm not sure I can provide much insight, but it's probable that FCs in Scout work differently than those in Simatic Manager. I'm pretty sure, from memory, that you can indeed make changes within the declaration area of a Simatic Manager FC without affecting other areas of the program. Scout is likely a different animal. My brief forays into the Sinamics drives used the version of Starter/Scout that's embedded inside S7 Technology, which looks very similar to what you see, but I never had to poke around and change any code. I'd suggest you reach out to Siemens tech support, with the understanding that, based on my experience with them, your chances are even at best. I fully support your plan to not load RAM to ROM. That's a very good idea until you're 1000% sure you haven't broken anything. Even then, I'd be absolutely sure you have a good backup you can download.