Xavier1987

HMI Design Software

8 posts in this topic

If you're just gonna program without any hardware I'd recommend NB-Designer by Omron. It's free and it's a nice way to learn HMI design. Also, If you're planning on working with hardware, they're not as expensive as other brands' hardware.

On 2021/8/20 at 2:42 PM, Robror said:

If you're just gonna program without any hardware I'd recommend NB-Designer by Omron. It's free and it's a nice way to learn HMI design. Also, If you're planning on working with hardware, they're not as expensive as other brands' hardware.

It's a matching set, right?

Is it okay if I use this software but use other hardware?

Every vendor has their own software, so no, you cannot use the software with other hardware.  You need to decide on a product you wish to learn and purchase the appropriate software for that product.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Xavier1987 said:

It's a matching set, right?

Is it okay if I use this software but use other hardware?

Hi, as Crossbow says, you need matching software and hardware of course. That's why I told you that if you are taking your first steps in HMI designing you can try Omron's NB Designer. The software is free and you can always simulate your HMIs if you don't wanna buy one. 

If you are looking for software for a real project then it depends on the project itself and there are a lot of possibilities.

Edited by Robror

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Redlion and Crimson software.  Of course the software is just for their hardware but the software is free so you can check out how it works before committing. 

1 person likes this

lookup GIGO....

first define some constraints such as ecosystem (target controller, fieldbus etc). then there can be discussion about what can be used to interface to it.

if your target controller is something peculiar or ancient (say a mechanical drum machine), none of the above may work.