denise01

Convert CJ1M RS232 Serial Port to Ethernet

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I believe that I can convert a serial port on a CJ1M to Ethernet. I have purchased a Brainbox ES 246. Has anyone ever used this converter? Am assuming that I would have to use Ethernet IP protocol to connect using a PC? All my factories PLCs are Serial Port and to buy Ethernet CPUs would be expensive so hoping this will work to help keep the cost down.

Regards

Peter

Convert for what purpose?  Programming?  Data collection?

Haven't used that converter before but it sounds like it's going to make a virtual COM port on your PC, and that you should be able to communicate through that COM port number like you were in front of the controller.

Hi Crossbow,

It has given me a Com Port of 118 but not sure how to connect to the PLC. Will it be like a Bluetooth Dongle so via Toolbus using baud rate as displayed. I want to really use it for SCADA so data collection.

Aww I think it is a similar thing to a Ewon 500 that I once used as a remote virtual port. Will consult the won Omron guide as am  sure it will advise me. Think it uses TCP on Hostlink Port

On your PC, it will setup as a COM port. Find the port number in the PC device manager (or Brainbox utility if the have one) then set the PLC to that port number using SYSMAC WAY. Yes, it will be Host Link. The PLC won't know any difference about the COM port.

Aww many thanks. Have never done this before.

Regards 

Although my PC recognises the Brainbox com port the CJ1M doesn't recognise it as a port when I try to remotely connect using Sysmac Way via the Hostlink Port. 

A Omron manual for EWON talks about using Fins whereas the Brainbox uses  Raw TCP. Wonder if this is the problem here? I take it nobody has used a Brainbox Serial to Ethernet Converter with a CJ1M? 

Regards 

@denise01 If you have configure Brainbox to virtual com port next step is to check wiring of RS-232 cable that connect with your PLC maybe try yo swap tx and rx pins.