BobB

New laptop - traps for young players.

10 posts in this topic

I am over USB/Ethernet ports - USB ports kept dying - big footed electricians in plant rooms falling over the cables.

Went looking for a laptop with a real Ethernet port - finished up buying an ASUS TUF gaming laptop - latest Ryzen processor - latest nVidia graphics card - it flies. Proper Ethernet port and a fairly rugged laptop as well. Others I saw had drop down Ethernet ports and they just looked like trouble.

Tried to install CX-One and the only language choice that came up were several forms of Chinese.

Finally found what caused the issue - ASUS had installed the Chinese language on the computer - removed it and US English came up straight away.

If you have this problem remove Chinese LOL.

1 person likes this

Nice Heads up - Thanks @BobB

not sure what you meant by "real Ethernet port"... real as opposed to..?

Some cheap laptops don't have an ethernet port.  You have to use a USB Ethernet adapter.  I am equally unimpressed with such, no matter how lightweight.

I beg to differ! Personally prefer to use USB/Ethernet adapters AND inline RF45 surge protector. After TWO laptops were partially destroyed after a ground loop fault in customers control enclosure.

If you are going to use a laptops Ethernet port be sure to use an inline surge protector.

My 2 cents.

I am with Bits on this... external hardware is easier to replace when it gets smoked...

1 person likes this

Real Ethernet port as opposed to flimsy drop down ones and I hate those USB adapters - the USB ports die. Last laptop lasted 6 months - had 3 USB ports - 1 dead - 1 very dicky - third one for the mouse adapter.

Never used surge diverters and have never had a laptop smoked.

I've never smoked a laptop through an ethernet port.They are already transformer isolated.  (Exception for POE.)

I do use USB ethernet occassionally, for complex networks where one connection isn't enough.

i have witnessed destruction of an embedded ethernet port on an industrial PC motherboard. that PC was running at a time (and continued running) but the ethernet port was toast.

it happened during lab setup. my laptop was booting and i was watching colleague place an ethernet switch on a desk (an insulator). next he pulled 10ft ethernet cable from the computer bag and connected it to the switch. at that moment power was still not applied to the switch. then the other other side of the cable was connected to mentioned PC. it was quiet enough to hear an audible pop and i also saw a small spark. it appears that static charge was able to build up to a level sufficient to fry port on one of the two devices.

I had a motherboard-mounted Ethernet port fail once in a desktop PC, and all I can attribute it to is a spike in the Ethernet line.  The cable modem failed, the Ethernet switch failed, and the Ethernet port on the motherboard failed.  All we could come up with is the coax cable may have been hit by lightning and the voltage fried everything in direct connection to it... Thankfully the TV was not damaged, nor was the cable box.  I now own a lot more surge protectors (and a whole home surge on the panel).