mmd604

Allen Bradley 5571 communication with DeltaV

10 posts in this topic

I have been tasked with configuring more data sets between a 5571 controller and a DeltaV ethernet vim card.  Communication is already established ethernetip explicit message.  we just need few more bools.  I only have to configure the 5571 side  of the communication is this a complicated task.  

Depends on whether space was left for more bools in the Logix tag involved, and whether a User Defined Type was used .  Please share more information.

I have no experience with the Delta V, but usually what you describe will entail one of two possibilities on the 5571 side.

A. The bools being transferred are contiguous to an existing bool set in the Delta V and all you need to do is edit the properties of a 5571 explicit MSG Instruction to bring over more bools.

B. The bools being transferred are at a new address in the Delta V in chich case you must "clone" and existing explicit MSG command and edit it's properties to being over the new bools.

This is all the suggestion I can make with the information you've given.  Others with Delta V experience may be more helpful when they respond.

3 hours ago, pturmel said:

Depends on whether space was left for more bools in the Logix tag involved, and whether a User Defined Type was used .  Please share more information.

I have no user defined tags associated to the Deltav in the 5571 controller.  I was told it was a explicate message between the two systems  how do i find out for sure I am a little confused

Explicit Message means you will find an MSG Instruction somewhere in your logic.

The Communication Path of the MSG will point to the DeltaV by IP Address.

5 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

Explicit Message means you will find an MSG Instruction somewhere in your logic.

The Communication Path of the MSG will point to the DeltaV by IP Address.

So I cant find any MSG instructions in the logic.  Theres a network module in the network tree that indicates DCS communication but the ip is pointed at that a IP that would not communicate on the vlan that the vim in located.  I can post the project file but its 5.7mb so I would have to compress

I'm fairly new at this but what I've seen is under the Logic dropdown > MAP PLC/SLC Messages. If there is data there attached to a file number, then in DeltaV the messaging class was Class 3 with PCCC.

One of our other PLC programs one of the routines in the tree handles DCS Comms. A MOV block takes information from a transmitter and moves the value to a tag in an array in controller tags. in the DCS the dataset is configured as UCMM with Logix Tags and the Logix tag name is used matching the tag name in the PLC array.  With other parameters in the dataset the PLC is able to send the value to the DCS. (Rack#, slot#, data type.) For example the tag name in the PLC could be _TX_DCS_FI-1234 and this tag name would be used in the DCS.

Another one similar to the first has controller based tags for DCS comms and MAP PLC/SLC with a file#. ST is used in the PLC to write to the controller tag array. Class 3 with PCCC is used in DCS. For example the PLC could have an INT array tag called _TX_DCS with 50 elements in the array. each element corresponds to a sensor or signal. the file number in the MAP PLC/SLC could be 11. but if you have 50 elements in the PLC array then you would want to grab 50 values in the DCS, and these would be made into signals under the data set.

I had to set up a dataset on a new Logix 500 controller. This was trial and error with data types, file type, and file number. I managed to get data from file number 7 which comes from integers and made it a 8bit unsigned integer. I couldn't spend more time on it to figure out how I got it to work, but it does. Maybe I will revisit it to learn.

If you saying that its explicit messaging, I know there is Class 3 explicit, where my examples are Class 3 with PCCC. But, hopefully I have given you something useful to work from.

1 person likes this

Thanks for all your help but it looks like its a implicit message and I will need the rsnetworx config file .inet.  Instead we had some spare int that we used instead of the rsnetworx attempt and it seems like any time Spartan downloads vimnet it causes havic through out are facility.  

Is this the Mynah VIM card?  I ran across that once:  it emulates an I/O chassis to place in the Logix PLC's I/O tree.  Chances are, the I/O buffer in the Logix processor needs to have its assembly length changed.  Or possibly not needed, if the buffer has unallocated boolean space.  Can you share more details of your application?

On 7/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, pturmel said:

Is this the Mynah VIM card?  I ran across that once:  it emulates an I/O chassis to place in the Logix PLC's I/O tree.  Chances are, the I/O buffer in the Logix processor needs to have its assembly length changed.  Or possibly not needed, if the buffer has unallocated boolean space.  Can you share more details of your application?

It is a VIM we have moved on as we had spare integers that we utilized as bool as we are a live facility and even Spartan was not comfortable downloading the VIM.   Essentially we have DeltaV handling our process and Allen Bradley handling are high speed stuff.  I have no idea what a IO buffer is but I will look it up thank you. In the future I will be configuring a simulation between DeltaV simulator and Emulate5000 smulator so that should be interesting and answer all my questions about the configuration side  Allen Bradley and DeltaV