Joseph 0028

Do we need to manually unlatch motion instruction bits ?

5 posts in this topic

I have seen some programs in which they manually unlatch all bits like in figure 1, and in some programs they don't do that. 

The instruction help page, ladder execution says that in pre-scan .EN, .DN, .ER, .IT bits are cleared to false

So do we need to unlatch all these bits before giving a motion command like MAM ?

figure1.png

i have never seen successful installation where end user has to look at ladder code and manually toggle some bits. programmer may relay on that during development but this is clearly not a way to run any system. anything that need to be initialized for proper operation need to be done in program before every use.

So we need to unlatch these bits before every motion command ? 

Cause i have seen programs without unlatching these bits, but they still work fine. So just wanted to know if its really necessary. 

It is not necessary.  Though it is common to unlatch the .ER bit from separate fault reset logic as a convenience.  The instruction will initialize all of those bits correctly on the rising edge of the rung.  Prescan isn't actually relevant.

Edited by pturmel
Clarification
1 person likes this