Joseph 0028

Difference between Active immediate and passive immediate homing ?

8 posts in this topic

What is the difference between Active Immediate homing and passive immediate homing ?

Does Motion servo axis have to be turned ON for active immediate and turned OFF for passive immediate homing ?.

you may want to specify some details like type of system and used software version

Its Control Logix L84E, and Logix Designer v32.

Application is linear motion, forks that goes forward and reverse. We don't use any sensor or offset to home. And strangely in different versions of the program, I see different homing methods, like one program its active immediate and another its passive immediate, so just wanted to know the difference.   

That Rockwell post answers nothing, its just generic explanation from help. 

AS I read that help file @Joseph 0028 Active Homing when commanded starts the axis moving and completes the homing.  Passive Homing sets up for homing and when the axis is moved the homing happens,  

That is true in general, but for immediate active and passive homing, there will be no motion. Both does the same of setting your entered home position to the actual position. I think, active homing enables the axis, and passive you can do even with axis turned off. I will test it myself next time when I am onsite...  

There is a tech connect tech note that explains more. It basically states what you are saying. Passive will not enable the axis but active will. More information in MOTION-RM003