scalvert

Internal/External Variables

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I did a quick search in here and couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'll post it here.  I am starting up a machine and adding/correcting alarms on the fly and came across an issue.  Some how a Internal variable  in one section of ladder has the same name as my global variable that I need to use and now I cannot put the global tag in that file.  Is there a way this can be done while the PLC is in run mode or do I have to go off line, delete the internal variable, add the global variable and then redownload?

PLC is NX100

Modifications to variables and/or removing variables needs to be done offline and transferred.

You can create a new one either local or global with an online edit however so if you can't shutdown this may be your best bet.

Not sure of the NX100, but when I've run into this on other PLC I will online rename the internal variable to add _INTL at the end of the name.  And then where permitted online crate the new global.

28 minutes ago, BobLfoot said:

Not sure of the NX100, but when I've run into this on other PLC I will online rename the internal variable to add _INTL at the end of the name.  And then where permitted online crate the new global.

That would be a good workaround, but on the NJ/NX platform you can't rename locals with an online edit. Best bet would be to make a new unique global online and then replace the variable used in the programs. If you can shut down the PLC then it would be easiest to correct offline.

The only way I can recreate this is by manually creating the duplicate variable. This can be done online and offline. Seems Sysmac chooses local over global when this condition exists.

You can add new global variables online by opening the global variable list and starting an online edit.  Then apply the changes.  Then you can go into your programs and use the new global variable.  

Variables cannot be renamed or deleted during online edits.

Thanks for the help/tips!  I didn't think you could delete them while online.