Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kale

ASI / SLC

5 posts in this topic

Dear All, I need to to connect NPN sensors to SLC 5/04 through ASI system does AB has complete pakage from master cards, slave, power supply and ASI sensors to support such soultion, please feedback. thanks kale

No. Rockwell does not promote or develop AS-Interface products. That's a Siemens technology and they are welcome to it. If you are doing an ASi - like application with small amounts of I/O, Rockwell has some new features in their DeviceNet scanners that allow you to configure the system with only a few ladder logic instructions; you don't need the configuration software, PC interface, or the learning curve that comes with those. I would choose DeviceNet over AS-i when using A-B controllers, any day.

Dear Ken, Thanks for the reply, but one point if we use device net network we must also use device net components such as AB devicenet sensors and I think they are expensive with reference to the ASI so do you have any other AB soultions for remote sensors. Best regards

When you use AS-Interface, your plug into networked I/O blocks with the AS-Interface cable, but use ordinary, inexpensive, non-network-enabled sensors. The sensors have no sophisticated features. When you use DeviceNet, you have the option of using expensive, network-enabled, feature-rich sensors. But you can also use I/O blocks with ordinary, inexpensive, non-network-enabled sensors. Look at A-B's1732D series of ArmorBlock I/O for an example of a device that is about as simple as an AS-i block. Are you trying to just reduce cabling costs by using a device-level network ? Or are you trying to comply with some specification ?

Dear Ken, Actually I need to use remote sensors ( max distance 50 meters) and in the same time I want to reduce number of cables and ease troubleshooting and in the same time not to forget cost impact, so sir what is your recommednations. thanks