BobLfoot

RSLogix 5 - Does Version Matter

7 posts in this topic

I am wondering if anyone knows.  If I have an RSLogix 5 program that was saved with Version 7 on Windows 7 and I now open it with Version 9 on Windows 10.  Will my techs who haven't migrated to Logix 5 V9 and Win 10 still be able to open the file?

Short answer, don't know...Wondering if RSL5 is like RSL5000 where you have multiple versions and it opens the program with the specific version needed.  When you opened in v9 did the help or about say it was v9 and not v7?

When you opened in v9 did it say anything about needing to convert the file?

Edited by pcmccartney1

I also don't know...

Back when I used RSL5, I remember installing a newer version on my laptop and not having issues, but I never formally tested it by moving files around like that. And all of the VMs were Windows 7 or Windows XP, not Windows 10.

I would make a new virtual machine with Windows 10 and move the files around to test. That assumes, of course, that you're using VMs for stuff...

i asked this question because i thought i remembered back in ancient times {logix 5 version 3} on WinXP that once verion 4 got ahold of the file you couldnt open it with three.  Based on what i tested today it seems that is no longer a worry.

Perhaps the issue you're recalling was a licensing issue. I recently transferred Logix5 from an old laptop with a master disk license. I thought I would just download the latest version but the master disk would not activate it. I had to roll back some versions. Don't remember which. 

Thanks IO Rack, but this wasn't licensing.  We had systems with version 3 and version 4 installed iirc correctly.  Once 4 saved the file, three wouldn't open it.  But memory is fuzzy it was 2006 aftercall,