HMI.JR

Allen Bradley Newbie

5 posts in this topic

I almost exclusively deal with Mitsubishi PLC's but the production facility I work at has a few Allen Bradley PLC's. The one older unit is a Micro Logix 1200. My question is what software do i need to access this? What cable is required to connect? The only port on the controller  is a green one that runs to the HMI. I have not disconnected this yet as i did not want to t production. Can you communicate to the Micro Logixs controller through the HMI?

Thanks,

Drew

AB ML 1200.jpg

Edited by HMI.JR

RS Logix 500. You may be able to use the HMI end of the cable to connect to your laptop serial port. <--- yes... you need a serial port or at least a good USB to serial adapter. 

1 person likes this

As Michael Lloyd said, you'll need RSLogix 500. Contact your local distributor for pricing.

As for the cable, you may be able to disconnect the HMI cable from the HMI and connect it to your serial port (if it's a 9-pin connector on the other end). Or, you can buy a cable from Rockwell (VERY pricey). Or, you can use this one:
https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1761-cbl-pm02-for-all-micrologix-plc-communication/
I've had excellent results from their other cables and have this one on my desk right now, in use to program a MicroLogix PLC. If you would prefer a USB-Serial adaptor, I recommend a Keyspan USA-19HS unit. I've had mine for over a decade with no issues. I've found no other adapter that works better for connecting to stuff. In my experience, if it won't work with this one, it won't work with anything else except a native COM port.

1 person likes this

You can also use RSLogix Micro starter. Its cheaper then RSLogix500 (Around $160) It will work with all Micrologix series.